1991 k1500 crank but doesn't run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegtwyo86

Reaction score
Ok guys, a little history of this truck, I got this it in a trade about 2 months ago because I needed another truck,its an auto 350 truck, it also has a good size body lift on it with no chassis grounds attached which will be coming off and a sas will be installed once I can get this damn thing running lol. When I first got the truck it would start up and run but at wide open throttle it would die, I figured it never had any maintenance performed on it because everything looks original or at least changed 10+ years ago, I've removed the throttle body and rebuilt, found the fuel pressure regulator was leaking really bad and the regulator spring was broken, replaced all parts and installed flow matched injectors, did full tune up while I was waiting on parts for the tbi unit( plugs, wires, cap,rotor) and installed a new tps sensor, and now after all parts are installed it will not even start up, it backfires like it's out of time, I've messed with the plug wire placement about 100 times checked and rechecked my work, I'm getting all 3 things needed to make an engine run (compression, spark, fuel), is it likely the ignition control module has gone bad? Let me know what you guys think before I roll the truck into the ocean lol
Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MouthForWar

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I mean, you said it backfires like it's out of time. Forgive me for keeping it simple stupid, but have you checked/reset the base timing? Assuming you've got your firing order correct with the wires like you said, logically the next step for me would be to manually reset the timing and make sure you correctly reinstalled your rotor. Costs $0 and takes 15 minutes, as opposed to throwing cash at an ignition module. Doesn't really sound like an ignition module to me anyway, to be honest.

thegtwyo86

Reaction score
I mean, you said it backfires like it's out of time. Forgive me for keeping it simple stupid, but have you checked/reset the base timing? Assuming you've got your firing order correct with the wires like you said, logically the next step for me would be to manually reset the timing and make sure you correctly reinstalled your rotor. Costs $0 and takes 15 minutes, as opposed to throwing cash at an ignition module. Doesn't really sound like an ignition module to me anyway, to be honest.

Ok thanks man, I'll take any suggestions, I'll give it a try this weekend, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk