1991 454SS owner says hi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve OConnor

Reaction score
Hi to all the 88 -98 (99 classic) owners and lovers. I have a very cherry 454SS (91) and have owned it for a very long time not since new but the late 90s.
I am battling Cancer and have decided to finish my truck the way I have always wanted to. This means 502 crate engine and a host of changes throughout the truck.
My SS is in great shape, original carpeting engine drive train and so forth. My next step is to upgrade all the brakes to perf and slotted rotors all new powder coated calipers and a conversion for the very rare 14 bolt 5 lug rear end first to take out the 4:10s and go to a 3:43: 1 I figured the gen 6 502 will have lots of stuff to spin up a 3:43.
So I am asking for help from you all. I built 4 brand new Chevrolet trucks in the 90s, a pair of reg ca short boxes fleet sides, a 91 and 96, and a pare of extended cabs 93 and 98 before locating the truck I should have bought new in the first place my current SS.
These trucks were all lowered, sway bars big street boots and SLE models. The 93,96 and 98 were all white and had sticks in them ordered from GM brand new with the small block.
I fell in love with the ram air "442" style hood and want one for my 91 454SS. Not an easy find.
If any of you know of one please let me know I will pay to get it here to Canada and I'm not afraid to pay well.
I will add pics as the project progresses, I will be starting with 460 to 500 HP and 550 to 580 ft lbs of torques, and moving the rear diff to a disc brake conversion and 3:43 gears.
I am always interested in other hard to find parts especially the red interior parts as they are very hard to find.
Any help or information would be appreciated.
You must be registered for see images attach

Guido

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 454 ss roars like a Tiger !!! My 6.2d is a turtle near to yours . My Chevy was built in Ontario in 1990 the country where you come from.

It's difficult to say smething comforting when you have to fight a cancer but I found some words in a Brantley Gilbert' s song that I think could be the right way to face it:

"Well if you think I'm scared
You got me all wrong
No a little cancer can't break me
My heart's right and I believe"

Good Luck from Italy

Steve OConnor

Reaction score
I'm sorry about the cancer. We'll all be rooting for you. Are those old school Boyd's? Love those retro billets.
You are close they are Centerline Cold Forged Billets, I had Centerline make them in a 9.5 with an extra .5 inch of spacing so the 275 17s would fall right under the wheel well they did a great job :)

Steve OConnor

Reaction score
Noice! The 91's are rare but def the year I'd go for. Overdrive and factory tach!
I really like mine Derek, the sound is amazing a friend who is a mechanical genious and very meticulous bent up the 3" stainless pipes and we put in dual hi flo stainless cats with 3" in 3" out Delta 40 Flowmasters. I don't even turn on the Pioneer ....lol. Its like Old time rock and roll ...lol