1990 K1500 Stepside tailgate band/decal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigboychevy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If yours isn't damaged, you can always do what I did. Strip off the old paint, then buff and polish out the aluminum. I used s cotton buff on a plug into the wall type, electric drill, with some white jewelers polish to buff out the aluminum to a mirror shine. Then I repainted the letters black. Once the paint was dry and cured, * buffed the aluminum out with some white diamond metal polish. I repolish it with white diamond metal polish, every so often to keep it looking good. I will admit, it is the hardest thing to keep up with, as for polishing. The tail gate sees a lot of dirt, and requires a good bit of work to keep it looking fresh.
wow that looks amazing! I don't have mine, it didn't have anything on the tailgate when I bought it unfortunately. That's why I want to find one

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If yours isn't damaged, you can always do what I did. Strip off the old paint, then buff and polish out the aluminum. I used s cotton buff on a plug into the wall type, electric drill, with some white jewelers polish to buff out the aluminum to a mirror shine. Then I repainted the letters black. Once the paint was dry and cured, * buffed the aluminum out with some white diamond metal polish. I repolish it with white diamond metal polish, every so often to keep it looking good. I will admit, it is the hardest thing to keep up with, as for polishing. The tail gate sees a lot of dirt, and requires a good bit of work to keep it looking fresh.
Yeah great job Kenny. My 96 badge is kinda textured though, not smooth like yours, so I don’t think I could buff mine to that mirror finish.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah great job Kenny. My 96 badge is kinda textured though, not smooth like yours, so I don’t think I could buff mine to that mirror finish.
Mine was the same way. It's kind of like a decal over the bare aluminum, from GM. Then they sealed it with clear coat. If you pass your finger over it, you can feel the sticker, or paint under the clear coat. All of the aluminum banners are made the same way on all of the GMT 400s. A lot of what I do, and have learned how to do, comes from growing up poor, and having to do things for myself BC I couldn't afford to pay someone to do it for me. Those days are long gone, but I still like to do things myself. Most of the time, I do a lot better job, than someone else will. It is for me, so I want it rite, and through the years, I have perfected my skill level to above and beyond your avarage Joe. When you bring your whatever somewhere, or you higher a mechanic, contractor, or whoever, most of the time, they are just in it for a pay check. You are just another customer, and they just don't care.

bigboychevy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine was the same way. It's kind of like a decal over the bare aluminum, from GM. Then they sealed it with clear coat. If you pass your finger over it, you can feel the sticker, or paint under the clear coat. All of the aluminum banners are made the same way on all of the GMT 400s. A lot of what I do, and have learned how to do, comes from growing up poor, and having to do things for myself BC I couldn't afford to pay someone to do it for me. Those days are long gone, but I still like to do things myself. Most of the time, I do a lot better job, than someone else will. It is for me, so I want it rite, and through the years, I have perfected my skill level to above and beyond your avarage Joe. When you bring your whatever somewhere, or you higher a mechanic, contractor, or whoever, most of the time, they are just in it for a pay check. You are just another customer, and they just don't care.
That mirror finish is what I want on my step side, when I saw that picture you made me even more determined to find an aluminum band for mine lol