1990 GMC K1500 restoration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

idlook2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would look for a nice blue bench for that interior, it would complete the look :)

I am ahead of you, found one at a salvage yard about 2 hours away and picked it up. I’m trying to resist messing with the interior until I have it running again! The seat did clean up really nice though.

You must be registered for see images attach

idlook2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another step in valve seal replacement is to tap the the top of the valve with a hammer to make sure the keepers are seated correctly when reinstalled.

Nice project and videos on the 1990, and a clean cut guy like Precision Transmission on YouTube.:patriot:

Doug in P.R.:driver:

Thanks! You are correct in tapping each valve. Most of them needed a tap on the top of the spring compressor to break the springs loose from the retainers during disassembly as well.

idlook2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Added a new temperature sending unit for the gauge cluster tonight. Previously when driving the truck the gauge would hardly move off of the lowest reading, I’m hoping it was just a bad sending unit.

Gary Mettus

Reaction score
While the valve covers were off, I went ahead and replaced the valve seals to hopefully fix the oil burn at startup. The original exhaust valve seals were pretty much gone so I’m feeling good that the new seals will solve the oil burn at startup.

Just the kind of job I hate the most; doing the same thing 16 times over :-D
I have smoke at start up after sitting for a while but no noticeable oil consumption so I'll keep putting this one off.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
FWIW... I had to replace my temp gauge. It would sometimes work for a day or two then go on vacation for a week or more. Wound up buying a complete cluster for the price of a single gauge. IF you can even find a new gauge.

Ken

PS. Nice work so far!!!

TXDevilDog

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am ahead of you, found one at a salvage yard about 2 hours away and picked it up. I’m trying to resist messing with the interior until I have it running again! The seat did clean up really nice though.

My 93 K1500 had a bench but no arm rest. I drove with my left hand due to driving manual for 20 years. I would use a backpack to rest the arm on. I couldn't find one with an arm rest in good condition so I modified the bucket seats and center console of a 2018 Silverado and installed it.

90 Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

What year had the headrests? My 90 single cab LB doesn't.

Doug in P.R.:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahuskwulf