1990 GMC K1500 restoration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

idlook2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Picked up a 1990 GMC K1500 back in October 2020 down in Georgia. I’ve been wanting one of these trucks for a while, my dad had a 1988 when I was a kid and I have lots of good memories riding around in that truck.

I’ll document the restoration in this thread, enjoy!

The day it arrived at my house:

You must be registered for see images attach

idlook2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
First attempt at trying to address the soft brake pedal: replacing the master cylinder. The pedal is a little better, but something else in the brake system is still not right.

YouTube video for anyone interested:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

idlook2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Second attempt at trying to address the soft brake pedal. I started out just wanting to adjust the rear brakes but after seeing the cracked rear shoes, I went ahead and did a brake job on the rear (drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, hardware, and rear brake hose). Pedal is better but still not where I think it should be.

YouTube video:

idlook2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Third attempt at trying to address the soft brake pedal. After lots of reading, I’m starting to think the rear wheel abs unit is the issue, specifically a leaky dump valve allowing fluid to leak into the accumulator rather than apply pressure to the rear brakes. This is a great article describing the operation of the rear wheel abs system:

https://www.aa1car.com/library/abs_kelseyhayes_rwal.htm

I also noticed that my combination valve was leaking a little bit of fluid out of the metering valve so I decided to replace it along with the rear wheel abs unit. Unfortunately, the “AC Delco inspired” combination valve that I purchased is leaking out of the electrical connector on top and the brakes are now probably worse than where I started. Currently sourcing a used combination valve to replace this crappy knockoff valve. The brakes will have to wait until the new valve arrives.

YouTube video:

idlook2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the first things I noticed when I test drove the truck was that the steering column was a mess. Turn signals would only latch in one direction, gear shifter return spring was broken, and the horn did not work. Dug into the column and ended up replacing quite a few parts to get everything working right again:

- Turn signal cancel cam
- Turn signal switch
- Wiper switch
- Turn signal lever
- Gear shifter return spring

As a bonus I found someone selling new old stock GMC horn pads on eBay so I picked up one of those as well. It’s nice to have all of the stuff right in front of you fixed!

YouTube video:

idlook2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Time to start addressing some of the oil leaks on this truck. The front differential was leaking really bad and looked like a good place to start. I pulled the differential and took it over to a local shop for new axle seals, pinion seal, and a re-seal on the case itself. Went ahead and added a new 4wd actuator and vent plug as well.

Nice and clean differential ready to go back in the truck:

YouTube video on how to remove the differential:

idlook2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Next up, engine oil leaks! Decided to start at the top and work my way down. Pulled the intake manifold to replace the gaskets. Went ahead and added a new EGR valve, throttle body gasket, heater hose quick connect, and temperature sending unit.

I have to admit, pulling the manifold was a much bigger job than I imagined.