1989 C1500 700R4 and other issues!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aaron1989

Reaction score
I'm new to the gmt400 world, although I've owned many like it. I've had a 1990 K5, a 1984 K5, and a 1987 C10. I just bought a 1989 C1500 short bed step side 2wd. engine is a mild built 350 out of a 1989 K5 Blazer. it has the original 700R4 Transmission. engine has around 45k original and 12k on build. transmission has unknown mileage.(Odometer stopped at 186k). The guy i bought it from had it for a little over a year and he bought it from the guy who did all the work to it. I bought it for $1200 because it ran like crap and the P.O didn't know how to fix it. Luckily i got it home, replaced the fuel pump and it ran like a champ! Didn't really drive it much as it was not registered under me yet. come to find out the transmission has a slight 2-3 flare. went to adjust the TV cable and saw that the detent clip that holds the TV cable to the TBI is gone and it is held to the geometry bracket with copper wire and zip ties. so i bought a new clip from rock auto, replaced it and adjusted the TV and the flare is gone! But it shifts very late and hard from 1-2, 1-2 was not an issue before. How do I adjust the TV cable to fix this? do i need to loosen or tighten? The TV is now set at maximum TV(tight as possible at WOT). I also had some CEL lights come on. checked the codes and it threw 32(EGR) 43(Knock sensor) 44&45(Lean & Rich Exhaust). Took the EGR off and cleaned it real good and it stayed off for a while. drove it for about 5 mins today and it threw 32 & 43 again. any ideas? i may just replace the EGR but im not sure because it seemed to work properly after cleaning it. the diaphragm seemed to work fine. any insight will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! Aaron

ram1220

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 90 Sierra 5.7l would throw an EGR code and set the CEL but only at highway speeds. I changed out the EGR as well as the O2 sensor and she runs like new. No more codes. Both items were cheap so I replaced them at the same time.