160 thermostat or 180 thermostat???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Haha yeah I didn't notice any difference in how it ran but my mileage was awful! The engine can't warm up enough to get to where it's most efficiently burning the fuel.

I have a 91 camaro thats tbi and I run a 160 just because I get better mileage with it then stock 195.... weird....

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
GM pays their engineers well and they tend to know what they're doing. Leave the stock 195 alone. There is something to be said for thermal efficiency.

94chevy4x4

Reaction score
thermostat ????????????????????????????

what temp thermostat do i use for best performance ????????

bobfig

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i vote stock 195º. i have a 180º in my truck now and didn't feel a difference in mpg or power. im using the lower t stat because the switch for my e fans comes on at 180º.

fireball 440

Reaction score
I put a 160 in my truck because I thought the old one was sticking. The fan clutch works fine. Well now it heats up to 210 at idle then drops way down to about 150 and stays there for a while, back up to boil, etc etc etc. I think now the sending unit must be bad or I got a bad stat. I did notice my gas mileage sucks now.