14 bolt sf missing pinion yoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bambam78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, recently acquired a 14 bolt 6 lug on craigslist, the gears and bearings look great, however it's missing it's yoke, I've heard you have to dial in the preload, and you can't over crush or under crushthe crush sleeve, I'm not really looking to tear into it that far and put a new crush sleeve in, would I be able to get away with tightening the pinion nut with a 1/2 wrench until all of the play was out of the yoke and it was tight? That way it would be impossible to crush the sleeve anymore?

What would you guys do? Thanks

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
im guessing you mean 1/2 inch drive ratchet,,,, you could do it this way,,,but it will be a crap shoot at best,,,if you have a inch pound torque wrench and are familiar with how to measure and understand turning torque,,that would be a better way to approach this,,,good luck...

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
In a word: no.

This is not a place to half arse it.

Ya gotta get yer whole arse in there and do it the right way.....:)

bambam78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You guys are killing me lol, would I be able check rotational torque with the carrier in or would I need to remove it to?

And if I did have to remove it do I just remove the 2 collars and pop it out, taking special note to not lose any shims or spacers, check rotational torque to 10-15 inch lbs and reinstall everything?

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
no you check it with it bolted in the rear end housing,,,no axles installed tho,,just the differential ,,,12 inch pounds is good,,