100hp in pieces

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super_chevy

Reaction score
This build might not be the best performance build there is, however it is one of the best bang for your buck builds I have found, to keep me in the 300-350 hp range

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The spring and retainer combination will allow for great maximum lift combined with machining down the valve guides and if they need to possibly longer valves. However the combination can be found countless times across the internet where no machining was needed at all to fit the Lt4 cam as long as it was combined the the ls6 springs and comp cams retainers.

Got a link? The numbers don't work on my end with the LS6 springs at a Vortec installed height. Unless the retainers affect that height? They WILL play nice with a stock LT4 cam.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
The 24502586 is a magic cam. It makes better power than you would expect. It will pull to 6000 RPM. Are you going to rev your truck that hard? On a 383 It will pull to 5700-5800. I would do 1.6 Full rollers. That cam was designed for them. I recommend a roller tip investment cast rocker from.480 to .500 lift and full roller up from that.
I would do do the SUM-174000 spring kit if you don't get the GM recommended ones. I also recommend having a 30 degree back cut done on the valves. This is inexpensive to have done (I did mine at home with a bench grinder. NOT recommended!:D) It can be worth as much as 25 ft. lbs. of torque. Having the valve guides set to minimum spec (not tighter) can be worth as much as 10 ft. lbs. Probably not that high for this build but it will still help some for a small investment. The FEL-1094 gaskets are what I use on engines with .020" or more deck clearance. I recommend .035" to .045" piston to head clearance to maximize quench for a street engine. My 462 Pontiac for my Firebird has .036" quench.
Also roller rockers of any type can be noisier so watch out for false knock alerts.
And most importantly, Have Fun!

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 24502586 is a magic cam. It makes better power than you would expect. It will pull to 6000 RPM. Are you going to rev your truck that hard? On a 383 It will pull to 5700-5800. I would do 1.6 Full rollers. That cam was designed for them. I recommend a roller tip investment cast rocker from.480 to .500 lift and full roller up from that.
I would do do the SUM-174000 spring kit if you don't get the GM recommended ones. I also recommend having a 30 degree back cut done on the valves. This is inexpensive to have done (I did mine at home with a bench grinder. NOT recommended!:D) It can be worth as much as 25 ft. lbs. of torque. Having the valve guides set to minimum spec (not tighter) can be worth as much as 10 ft. lbs. Probably not that high for this build but it will still help some for a small investment. The FEL-1094 gaskets are what I use on engines with .020" or more deck clearance. I recommend .035" to .045" piston to head clearance to maximize quench for a street engine. My 462 Pontiac for my Firebird has .036" quench.
Also roller rockers of any type can be noisier so watch out for false knock alerts.
And most importantly, Have Fun!

I like to advance the cam a minimum of 2° and preferably 4° on a L31 with the L31 intake. Builds more torque and more closely matches the intake manifold when it is advanced. It won't make peak power much over 5,500 rpm with the long runner crossram L31 intake.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Grand idea! Just don't do it blind. Degree it in and make sure to check piston to valve clearance. You should have miles of clearance but it's always good to check.
I want a stock L31 cam for Frank. It will work perfectly with the TPI intake.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Grand idea! Just don't do it blind. Degree it in and make sure to check piston to valve clearance. You should have miles of clearance but it's always good to check.
I want a stock L31 cam for Frank. It will work perfectly with the TPI intake.
395 cam works great with TPI as well. Back in the day I ran a stock 96 LT4 cam with 1.6 rockers on Vortec heads with a TPi on top. Was a very strong runner.