1 piece vs 4 piece oil pank gaskets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fred5280

Reaction score
Hey whats up to whoever reads this. Im looking at the two different types of gaskets used for good old 350s. What do you guys prefer do you have any pros cons or tips for someone thats doesnt know what to choose.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The four-piece cork and rubber oil pan gaskets for two-piece rear main seal oil pans suck.

The one-piece rubber gasket for one-piece rear main seal oil pans is far less fiddly and leaky.

If you're wondering which to order, and your GMT400 has the original engine, it's the one-piece rear main seal oil pan.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
If its in the truck and a 4x4, use a 1-piece and RTV to hold it in place. Lots of room for error this way since space is so tight on a 4x4 pan.

If its on an engine stand, either one is fine and the 4-piece can seal up just fine.

Fred5280

Reaction score
The four-piece cork and rubber oil pan gaskets for two-piece rear main seal oil pans suck.

The one-piece rubber gasket for one-piece rear main seal oil pans is far less fiddly and leaky.

If you're wondering which to order, and your GMT400 has the original engine, it's the one-piece rear main seal oil pan.
With that one piece gasket do you use an rtv or just bone dry?

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dab of rtv in the corners of where the timing cover meets block and rear main meets block. Dab meaning a goober slightly larger than the size of a pea. And don’t over torque the bolts - that’ll distort or squish the gasket out and it’ll leak.

Fred5280

Reaction score
Dab of rtv in the corners of where the timing cover meets block and rear main meets block. Dab meaning a goober slightly larger than the size of a pea. And don’t over torque the bolts - that’ll distort or squish the gasket out and it’ll leak.
would you put dabs in the corners on the block then gasket then another dab in the corner before putting on the pan or put the gasket on the dry block and the dabs on top of that. Thanks for the response

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
would you put dabs in the corners on the block then gasket then another dab in the corner before putting on the pan or put the gasket on the dry block and the dabs on top of that. Thanks for the response

I did on both sides of the gasket just for insurance. So far no leaks in about 3 months give or take.

Ken

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

Don't be shy with that dab of silicone. I'd bump that slightly north of a pea sized dab and it goes on both sides of the gasket, not just the block side.

BOOT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I'm laying under a car one piece, if the engine is on a stand four piece is fine. Either type needs proper prep/cleaning and the right amount of RTV in the right spots.

edit: Also make sure your pan rails aren't dimpled from over tightening or poor production.