0411 - Emissions Readiness Issues - Catalyst, Evap, and O2 Sensor "Incomplete"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m002922

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had an 0411 in my 98 5.7 Vortec for awhile - but I was in Florida and didn't have emissions. Recently swapped to 4l80e and completely reloaded the computer.

Now I'm back in VA (where there is emissions), and I'm trying to get it tested, but they won't test me because I have 3 "Incomplete" Emissions Readiness s/DTCs (I'm checking with OBD Check / Torque). Which are:

Catalyst
Evaporative System
O2 Sensor

I've tried the "drive cycle" thing. I've driven it some long distances - probably 2 tanks worth, and I feel like I've put the mileage on it that it would have to reset by now. I've looked at my 0411 load (and had others look at it), no one sees anything off.

Anyone ever have this issue or have any tips or ideas?

m002922

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll answer my own question on this one, and provide some words of warning on how this came to happen.

So the solution was that I, and others, missed that the load in my 0411 had Long Term Fuel Trim (LTFT) off and Closed Loop Enable were effectively off. LTFT by disabling it, and Closed Loop Enable by putting the temperature at 284 to have it come on. I also turned off Catalyst protection.

Now, how that happened is that I set up a load to MAF tune my truck - and I believe you do that by keeping yourself out of "closed loop." (I did all that by learning it from Goat Rope Garage, on YouTube, BTW - his process worked).

Got the truck MAF tuned, and everything was good.

Problem was, I never went back and reactivated that stuff . . . I was just not thinking, busy, whatever. After I made the MAF adjustments, truck ran fine.

Interesting thing is running this way never gave me an issue, or a Check Engine Light (CEL) . . . except for an EVAP CEL, which I think was unrelated.

Fast forward, I can't figure out why the issue in my first post is happening. I'm not getting any CEL, because the computer thinks its doing what it is supposed to do, and the truck isn't running bad. Eventually I just hook up a Torque OBD monitor and turn on a bunch of stuff to watch, and realize it isn't going into Closed Loop. That leads me to find the above issues, and to realize that those issues were of my own doing.

Now everything is back on, truck is running great, truck passed emissions.

Be slow and deliberate with this stuff until you know it inside and out. I should have been more diligent about undoing what I did to do the MAF tune. Lesson learned.