‘88 Sierra engine’s knocking, timings right at 0° no CEL but i have 7 codes on my code reader (images below)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beetlejuice

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Beetlejuice

Reaction score
Not sure if I’m posting these against some sort of rules, please let me know so I can fix my post. New to posting but I’ve been lurking on this forum and a bunch of others for a couple years now. PLEASE HELP

Any questions anyone has I will gladly answer. Bought this ‘88 Sierra 2500 few months back thinking I can fix it with a new fuel pump and I mean I have gotten it a lot better than it was I’ve replaced damn near the entire ignition system, and a lot of fuel system components. At first it wasn’t knocking til I f****d with the timing. I have to crank it for about 5 seconds and she starts, but knocks and the knocking gets wayy louder when I give it some throttle, and even bogs down/stutters a bit. I don’t know if my distrbtr is 180° or not or what exactly my problem(s) are. I’m getting infuriated and ready to take it to a shop. Most issues on these trucks I can tackle but this one’s had me scratching my head for weeks now

Beetlejuice

Reaction score
Clear 'em all, see what comes back.

The 50-series codes concern me.
On it, I’ll go do that now thanks for the reply! I’ll let you know what comes back. I hope it’s nothing too concerning but if im screwed I’m screwed. Only put in about $1500 into it so far

Beetlejuice

Reaction score
On it, I’ll go do that now thanks for the reply! I’ll let you know what comes back. I hope it’s nothing too concerning but if im screwed I’m screwed. Only put in about $1500 into it so far
I say $1500 like thats chump change but I meant to also add the truck itself and that was $750 so that and another $750 in tools/parts whereabouts.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve replaced damn near the entire ignition system,
At first it wasn’t knocking til I f****d with the timing.
Re-check your spark plug wire routing.

Verify base ignition timing.

and a lot of fuel system components.
I have to crank it for about 5 seconds
Does the fuel pump prime for 2 seconds when the key is turned from "Off" to "Run"?

she starts, but knocks and the knocking gets wayy louder when I give it some throttle, and even bogs down/stutters a bit.
My truck did exactly that...when the head gasket popped between #3 and #5. IF (big IF) I had caught it right away, I wouldn't have blow-torched a gouge in the deck surface and the cylinder head between those two cylinders. But I didn't, so the blowtorching wrecked the head, and maybe the block. With the usual "Chevy" firing order, when #3 has spark and fires the air/fuel mix, #5 is on the intake stroke. The jet of flame from #3, blows across the failed gasket, igniting the air/fuel present in #5, which still has the intake valve open...so not only does #5 explode, but it lights-off the intake manifold through the open intake valve.

Perform a cranking compression test of all eight, look for two low cylinders next to each other.

I don’t know if my distrbtr is 180° or not or what exactly my problem(s) are.
If the distributor was 180 off, it WOULD NOT run.

Alrighty I cleared em and now I have 11 codes instead of 7…. Could it be a bad ECM I wonder?
Start with the other items I mentioned.

50-series codes CAN indicate a failed ECM.

Last edited:

Beetlejuice

Reaction score
Re-check your spark plug wire routing.

Verify base ignition timing.

Does the fuel pump prime for 2 seconds when the key is turned from "Off" to "Run"?

My truck did exactly that...when the head gasket popped between #3 and #5. IF (big IF) I had caught it right away, I wouldn't have blow-torched a gouge in the deck surface and the cylinder head between those two cylinders. But I didn't, so the blowtorching wrecked the head, and maybe the block. With the usual "Chevy" firing order, when #3 has spark and fires the air/fuel mix, #5 is on the intake stroke. The jet of flame from #3, blows across the failed gasket, igniting the air/fuel present in #5, which still has the intake valve open...so not only does #5 explode, but it lights-off the intake manifold through the open intake valve.

Perform a cranking compression test of all eight, look for two low cylinders next to each other.

If the distributor was 180 off, it WOULD NOT run.

Start with the other items I mentioned.

50-series codes CAN indicate a failed ECM.
Thank you so much Schurkey, I just made another post thinking i wouldnt get much traction on this one considering its a jumbled mess im going to go to Autozone now to get a compression tester. Firing orders correct and I’ve been literally and I mean literally checking the timing like 10 times to verify its at 0° btdc. I’m in a desperate way. And my fuel pump is priming when i flip the key I don’t think thats the issue I checked the fuel pumps psi a few weeks back and it looked fine. The spray looks good and im sure theres no vac leaks.

Could you tell me how exactly I test my ecm if you know? I cant find anything online about it- that is if i get that far with a good outcome out of the compression test that im gonna do in about an 30 mins! Also just because my firing order is correct is there something else I could be missing like wires being too close or something along those lines?

Last edited: