Why so many 400s leaving?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
Whew, this thread lit up like crazy! LOL. Ya, I guess everyone has their own reasons, but it seems like more and more are switching. I would love a diesel, just for the power and sound, but I am not giving up my Stepside, I love it to much.

I don't know, maybe it's a fad.

BTW.........Nice looking truck in your sig!!!

Thanks, it's my truck!

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
i have 2, a 88 rcsb and a 98 cclb dually, my 88 was a 7200gvw 3/4 ton long box 5.7/sm465/np241 that i swapped to a short box and solid axled with 1 tons , a big block and 2wd th400 with divorced 205, the 98 has a 6.5 with 30k on the motor and 274k on the body and paln on keeping them a long long time.
the dually gets solid axled next with dodge suspension and may get a duramax conversion and the 88 i am building even bigger on alcohol.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Well, i have to say im one of those guys that bought a newer chevy, but i wouldnt sell my 400 for the world!

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
I will still be here driving a gmt 400, I like this body style, and I will not and do not make payment's on anything, If I can't pay cash for it then I don't need it!

agreed id love to have a 99+ 5.3 but cant buy one and refuse to take out a loan so ill keep DD my 400 and maybe one day ill get what i want but ill always be here because my stepside isnt going anywhere

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, i have to say im one of those guys that bought a newer chevy, but i wouldnt sell my 400 for the world!

Love your truck btw. I think it's the perfect candidate for an LSX 454 / T-56 magnum swap. BTW my first REAL truck was a 91 Chevy RCSB Sport (what me and my wife dated in), it's the reason I got the SS.

jeff's88silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I sold my 88 400 and went to an s10 for gas mileage kept it about 5 months sold it and bought the 90 400. Missed driving one to much.

But i also like the nbs and will probably have one of these days but this 400 aint going nowhere

EDIT:And i got the perfect example for how cheap parts for these trucks are. Well hooked mine up to a tech 2; noticed the o2 was a little slow, Checked it and its the original one. So went bought one for $19.99 + tax. Now tell me what the hell else you gonna find o2 sensor for a $20 bill.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
I'm going to do pretty much whatever I can to hang on to mine. In the end, it's just a truck. However, a lot of guys on here say that they wish they had kept their first vehicle, or a certain truck. I don't want to have to wish that I'd hung on to this thing.

Sure, it's 17 years old. Parts are cheap, and I'm learning how to fix it each time something breaks, so the way I see it, why would I want to spend the time to re-learn a newer vehicle. Besides, most trucks that are made now you basically have to have a computer system to hook it up to if anything goes wrong. I like the simplicity of the 5.7 without the vortec. Less computer/electronics means less that can break/go wrong.

I've got the 4 door, so I will never need to switch because of that, but it's also not a suburban, so it's not a bus either. IMO, perfect size.

JParker2012

Freedom isn't FREE
Reaction score
Ha ha I traded down from an nnbs to an nbs back down to my 400, and i will NEVER SELL this truck. besides im Building up my dream truck... You guys can buy your dime a dozen new "dream" trucks, il all ways be here making a truck that's 1 in a million! ;)