Why so many 400s leaving?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
Also keep in mind that parts for these babies are in abundance. Aftermarket parts are usually expensive, but when you replace something stock, its practically dirt cheap. We have sites like LMC and Rockauto that sell us what we need to fix for next to nothing, and there is even a place local to me that has CHEAP Chevy/GMC parts, brand new. Oh and speaking of alot need maintenance, usually people get too lazy to keep up with it, and they end up in a junkyard, which means MORE parts for us!

This is what drove me to it. 350s and 4l60s can be had for cheap, these trucks are STUPID easy to work on... and a week on craigslist can net you basically anything you could need on the used market for pennies on the dollar vs basically any 2000+ truck. If you're willing to put some time in, you can have a cheap and reliable truck for pretty cheap.

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have a duramax now.....but i still kept my 97

my 97 is a good looking truck, but didnt have the towing power, fuel economy or ride near as nice as my duramax does, 20 mpg on the highway, 15 while towing, crew cab, 100x more power, and the fact its a duramax

i still love my other truck but i just dont drive it much anymore with the new truck

o and gas is actually more expensive than diesel in my area today....by about $0.10 more

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
This^. I am only 17, but have fixed every major problem with my 400 by myself. Scariest was changing my tranny fluid and filter, had to jack up the 700r4 to get the damn pan off haha.
:word:

im 19, owned my truck since 16 and ive done everything to this truck, only thing i havent touched is the body and rearend.

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also keep in mind that parts for these babies are in abundance. Aftermarket parts are usually expensive, but when you replace something stock, its practically dirt cheap. We have sites like LMC and Rockauto that sell us what we need to fix for next to nothing, and there is even a place local to me that has CHEAP Chevy/GMC parts, brand new. Oh and speaking of alot need maintenance, usually people get too lazy to keep up with it, and they end up in a junkyard, which means MORE parts for us!

Let me put it this way. Younger people will throw parts at their old trucks to keep them on the road, I know I do and I'm 18. But when you get older and have a family you want a reliable vehicle and not have to spend time and money so that if your wife or someone is driving the truck they dont get stuck out in the middle of BF nowhere because the starter failed. And parts up here must be a lot more expensive then down there because i've spent way too much money on parts only just this year and my truck only has ~60,000 miles plus it sucks fixing them sucks ass in the winter.

Many people just like to drive their trucks and not have to keep replacing ****. If people liked getting nickel and dimes by their vehicles everyone would drive old trucks and just keep throwin parts at it.

Just my .02

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
crap you guys make me feel old.

My truck is my 2nd vehicle so when it breaks (unless its snowing) I'm good. That helps me accept its potential non-reliability... As for gas mileage, my commute is 8 miles round trip and my other car only gets about 20, and that was before the cam. This might be my gas-saver now, considering it runs 87 instead of 93. LOL

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
I'm sure I'm going to get a few negative comments here. But in all honesty, the only reason I even bought my 92, was because the price was right. Almost a year later I bought my powerstroke, and can honestly say once the 92 is gone the only way I will buy another 400 is if it's a 2wd duelly, and it will just be a project truck.

RGV2DRHOE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With the newborn a 4 door is just the way to go right now, and I dont have to jack my wifes car and leave her driving the truck whenever my sons with me. If I could have kept the hoe believe me I would have, I loved that thing I had wanted it since I was 10 years old, but it did help me put 1/3 of the cost of the new HD down. Not to mention I was probably going to have to throw around 3k into the truck before this time next year. Had a bad rust bubble developing in the middling of the roof along the windshield, my rear end was about to go, along with the u joints(thats a cheap easy one tho), the tranny was getting ready to go again after only 25k miles and 3 years, and my engine still was running rich, with a rough idle, and a unbelievably high idle in cold weather. Plus my silvy has a 6.0 in it which is still doing better on gas than my hoe was with alot more giddy up, and the 3/4 ton drive train gives me a piece of mind I never had with the hoe.

vervepipes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Newer vehicles come with a perception of being more reliable. Maybe they are, but parts are definitely more expensive and harder to replace. I personally wouldn't buy a truck that I can't buy outright because trucks hold a lot of value, so payments would be high, and with a used truck you can expect repairs on top of payments and that's a situation I don't want to ever be in again. My family vehicle I bought brand new, I know it's history, how it was driven and it has a warranty for as long as it's being financed vs a 3 year or less used car warranty.

My '98 isn't going anywhere soon, I can do a brake job with money from a few month's worth of bottle refunds, why would I give that up?