How many different types of material are in the interior?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lance 1992

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding a 1992 C1500 Silverado Extended Cab, I think what I really want to know is if all of the carpet is the same and is the the solid color (velour?) fabric on the headliner and sun visors the same as either the seat or door panels?

In detail the interior contains these materials/fabrics:

Are these the same:
Floor Carpet
Front Kick Panels Carpet
Rear Kick Panels
Door Panel Carpet
Under Rear Window
On Top of Jack Case
Back of rear seat
-To my untrained eye, it appears the door panels, back of rear seat, and top of jack case are a bit fuzzier/longer than the floor, kick panels, and under the rear window. It could just be the age of the carpet.

These are different:
Striped Seat Material (pliable)
Striped Door Panel Material (stiffer)
(I assume the front and rear seat use the same fabric?)

What is the same:
Solid Color Door Panel Material (stiffer)
Solid Color Seat Bolsters (pliable)
Headliner
Sun Visors

Seat Vinyl

Anything else?

The follow up question is where to get this stuff and how would I describe each of the unique materials above? I know the striped material is generally not available, but what about the carpet(s), vinyl, and velour? Apart from describing it as from a 1992 C1500 Extended Cab, how would I describe it? Are the Detroit Book names and numbers sufficient? Those books don't cover the carpet(s), vinyl, headliner, or sun visors. Are there official or standardized names or descriptions for the fabrics/materials that might include the composition. Some of this may be a bit academic but I'd like to get these details for myself (and the forum) so that I know I'm getting the right stuff from an upholsterer or supplier.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
OEM seat & d/p fabric is unobtanium. Has been for years. Even when it was last available, 25 years ago, it was stupid expensive. Like $185/yd stupid....and that's in 25 years ago dollars.
Headliner is available. That's generic. It's called foam-backed headliner material (!) or 'Nyfoam'.
There's at least 48 different colors. Could be 60. Lol!
There's 9 or 10 reds alone. 1/2 a dozen or so of grey. Several of blue.
If somebody says they want H/L material in any color other than black, I'll need a sample.
A pic doesn't cut it. Some of the colors are so close that with the dif between user screens, exact matches can't be guaranteed.
GM info on H/L color codes is sparse at best.
'Headliner...blue.'
From my side of the fence that's a ????. I'm looking @ 9 tones of blue on this sample card!!!
Fabric visors are the same material as the H/L.
400's with the small headliner & white 'Pinpoint' vinyl (IIRC) use a solid matching grain vinyl.

The vinyl pattern is called Sierra.
That's what GM called it. That's what it's called in the Detroit & Deleo books.
GM used it in e-v-e-r-y-thing. For years beginning in the mid-80's.
There's quite a few aftermarket suppliers, but they sometimes use different names for the same grain.

Carpet is 100% nylon. Cut-pile. There's kits.
I use ACC. 99.9% as per OEM. There's others.
Some members have had probs getting that Co.'s carpets to snuggle down tight to the floor, but I've been at this for *cough* years, so I've learned how to MAKE them submit. (5lb. Dead Blow. "Take THAT! ...and that & that & that, too!" ...& one more. Just because!)
I've read here about some ACC kits being short on the front or on the sides. I've never found that. Maybe I'm just lucky. (That'd be a first!)
Strangely, most secondary sellers are less expensive than going ACC direct. Weird.
But I order from ACC. I specify that the jute backing is NOT to be pre-glued to the carpet. Send it along with.
Then, on the install, the jute gets glued down first, then the carpet. More work, but a much better finished job.
Mass backing is OK. Makes for less submission on the carpet's part. Not really required when sound deadening is put down first.
Not a fan of the 'Essex'. Especially with the mass backing. Looks cool, but it can cause fitment probs between tunnels & consoles. Kick panels. Gas pedal travel. Seat & seat belt bolts too short. Forget about using any aftermarket sound deadening in addition to.
Leave 'em out in the sun for 4 or 5 hours, bottom side up. A warm room will kinda sorta work, too.
Dry heat. Heatgun from the backside.
Steam work works better. Less chance of melting the carpet.
A rubber mallet/dead blow to get the stuff to conform into the corners & over the raised areas.
Good glue. 'Weldwood'. Quarts, gallons & 5 gal. pails.
Get a gallon. You'll have extra, but better too much than not enough.
Use a cheap (the cheapest!) Harbor Freight siphon gun. It's a little thick for an HVLP.
Do lots of test fits & use witness marks. ((Blackboard chalk.)
Knee pads. Good scissors.
...patience.
There's tips, tricks & technique involved. Hit me up when you get to that point.

The back wall carpet is a short cut pile with a sprayed-on backing. ACC has that pre-made along with the kick panel & door pieces too.
The door panel & kick panel carpet is a major PitA to remove. Just so ya know.

Lance 1992

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you sewlow.

My Silverado sun visors don't have a foam backing unless it dissolved. I don't think it ever had foam, but otherwise it is identical to the headliner.
I forgot about one additional piece of material that could overlooked, the elastic band on the driver's sun visor in a Silverado. Any information on that? Mine is stretched out.

Are you sure all of the carpet is the same? My Door Panel carpet and the carpet on the top of the jack storage looks different but it could be because it is thirty-two years old.

Lance 1992

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
... also the carpet on the back of the rear seat is a lot different - is that because it doesn't have the backing that the carpet on the floor has?

Lance 1992

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then could that material on the back of the seat be the same as the top of the jack case and/or the door panels and kick panels?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
My Silverado sun visors don't have a foam backing unless it dissolved. I don't think it ever had foam, but otherwise it is identical to the headliner.
The foam backing is labelled as 1/4", but it's more like 3/16". It's a very light density & compresses down to near nothing.
Without the foam, the material is a limp noodle. Like a pair of nylons. Remember those?
(Homer voice. Mmmm...Nyyyylonsss!)
Stuff won't hold it's shape. Curls around on itself. Can't keep the weave square when laying it down. Minimal glue saturates it. pita.
...the elastic band on the driver's sun visor in a Silverado. Any information on that? Mine is stretched out.
I'll replace that when recovering. ...and that's about the only way to fix it. The elastic is basic roll stock.
Seems to me some of the aftermarket interior parts guys have new ones. LMC? Classic Industries?
Visors can be pricey, especially when lighted mirrors & slide-out extenders are included, but when compared to an upholsterer redoing, well...unless it's a custom one-off, (Two-off?) I just can't compete with the multi-national conglomerate's buying power or their off-shore wages.
They have patterns & jigs, pounding out multiples a day. No thinking involved.
I'm making it up as I go along. Scratching m'head, measuring things 3x.
Are you sure all of the carpet is the same? My Door Panel carpet and the carpet on the top of the jack storage looks different but it could be because it is thirty-two years old.
"...the carpet on the top of the jack..."

Do you mean the one that runs full length across the back under the window, down to the floor?
That is different, like GoToGuy said. Not subject to as much wear as carpet flooring so it is a bit less robust.
Door panels & kicks should be the same as the floor.
Only diff is that the floor carpet has a different backing that'll hold the shape when molded.

Lance 1992

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I say on top of the Jack storage, I mean #3 in the attached picture which can also be seen here:

You must be registered for see images attach

This one picture actually shows all of the carpet locations except for the front kick panels. So the floor (6), Door Panel (1), Rear Kick Panel (2), and Front Kick Panel are all the same carpet except for the backing on the floor carpet. What about 3, 4, and 5 in the picture? The jack storage, rear of back seat, and under window respectively.

How thick is the foam on the headliner? Thicker than the 1/4 or 3/16 used on the sun visors? Anyone make the sun visors with the elastic? I've only seen the mirror.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is (3) in the picture even factory? My red truck is a '97, but I don't recall there being any carpet on the actual jack/storage box itself.