What Sound Deadener Do You Prefer??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lowandloud91

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It did make a pretty good difference. heres a rundown of what I did for the sound deadening:

what I did was get a couple rolls or Raamat and used it in the most needed places (i.e. I wend around and tapped on the sheetmetal to find places that resonated more than others, like big flat areas, etc) the 2 rolls was just enough to cover all the places I felt were really necessary, for me I used a tennis ball to help smooth it and push it on to get good adhesion (I also cleaned all the surfaces beforehand with denatured alcohol, to promote proper adhesion). then I had a bunch or Second Skin Spetrum (the paint on stuff. it actually is pretty good stuff), I think I had around 4 or 5 gallons of it, and after the raamat was on really well, I went through and put a few coats on everything, letting it dry for at least 12-14 hours before the next coat. Then after the last coat was dry, I used some spray glue and glued some ensolite closed cell foam and glued it over the major areas (i.e. floor, inside doors, etc) and did double layers with the extra I had in spots like under the sub (its a down firing single 10") and behind the door speakers. after that, I got some expanding foam from Home Depot, its called 'Great Stuff' its expanding insulation to fill the gaps between window frames, and used it to fill in and add ridgitity and insulation inside the gaps between the rear pillar sheet metal (this was after running my rear speaker wiring too).

that seems like a real nice set-up. I love the idea of filling the window frames, I never even thought of that!...great info, as usual lol

lowandloud91

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use "peel `n seal" from Lowe's, it's $15/roll and 1 roll did both doors and the trunk of my mustang.

looks exactly like dynamat extreme, but is twice as thick. Does not smell even on hot days in socal where the interior is hot enough to burn my hands on the shifter and steering wheel.

I went over it all in most places with some 4in1 foam meant to go under hardwood floors.

it made a huge difference in the car, and I haven't even done the floors yet.

awesome, thats a damn good price lol!

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that seems like a real nice set-up. I love the idea of filling the window frames, I never even thought of that!...great info, as usual lol

if you do that with the 'great stuff' like I did, you'll want to be aware of your wiring, run some split wire loom or something around the wiring before spraying that stuff in, that way if you need to remove the wiring in the future, you can without having to cut that stuff out.

I like how mine sounds, I don't have rattles or squeaks, everything is nice and tight and I hate bothering other people around me when I want to listen to it loud, so it lets me do that to an extent.

lowandloud91

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you do that with the 'great stuff' like I did, you'll want to be aware of your wiring, run some split wire loom or something around the wiring before spraying that stuff in, that way if you need to remove the wiring in the future, you can without having to cut that stuff out.

I like how mine sounds, I don't have rattles or squeaks, everything is nice and tight and I hate bothering other people around me when I want to listen to it loud, so it lets me do that to an extent.

ya I'll do that if the wires are still in there, they may be out completely when i do that tho. ya I hate to bother others as well, I always have to turn the volume down at redlights and stuff while sitting next to ppl, otherwise I feel rude lol

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used second skin damplifier. I would not use Dynamat as it is extremely overpriced. I also would stay away from anything asphalt based (like peel-n-seal). I would vote second skin or Raammat

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just bought som Fat Mat. It's the peal and seal type. What are the issues with this stuff? Does it smell when it gets hot? It wasn't cheap, but I don't like doing things twice. It's going in next week..

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The asphalt stuff is old technology and there are 2 potentially big issues with it. The first issue you already mentioned. It has been known to have smell issues when it gets hot. Some people have odor and some have it for a week or 2 and then it goes away and some never get it. The other issue is that it can melt in the heat which can cause it to drip or pool at the bottom of where ever it is used. That could be the bottom of your door panel, your carpet, or behind the rear seat. That can cause major problems but thankfully that is much less common... but still possible.

My guess is that you'll be ok with Fat Mat. It's not the best stuff out there but it's definitely not the worst. In fact I can't remember if Fat Mat is still asphalt or if it is the newer butyl rubber that the good stuff is made out of.

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I installed some of the Fatmat. It took 50 sq ft for just my ext cab and rear panel. It sure was easy to instal. I have 50 sq ft left, so I'll prep the floors and do them first, then see what I have for the doors.

Side question: How do you remove the grip handle on the 4x4 selector?
I need to take this off to get the carpet installed. Thanks..