Sound deadening in doors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys seeing an appreciable difference after adding this stuff?
If, even decent products are installed fairly well, you will see a big difference in noise, rattles, and more consistent temperature. I’ve done full treatment on my last few trucks and it’s always one of my favorite modifications.

DixieWASP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You guys seeing an appreciable difference after adding this stuff?
I added Dynamat to the floor and back wall of my truck's cab but I have not driven the truck since I added the Dynamat. I hope it works and I am looking forward to getting my truck back on the road to see if and how much difference the product makes. I will add a sound deadener to the doors later.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Depends on what you’re goals are and what you’re trying to “fix”

The answer to that depends on what stands to be gained. I don't know what I don't know here.

If, even decent products are installed fairly well, you will see a big difference in noise, rattles, and more consistent temperature. I’ve done full treatment on my last few trucks and it’s always one of my favorite modifications.

Can it dampen exhaust volume? Or would it only help to quell drone applied to the back wall? How much noise really comes through the other areas of the truck like the floor and doors?

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The foil backed butyl deadener won’t block much airborne sound. If the sheet metal is resonating, it will stop that.
Mass loaded vinyl is going to be a sound blocker.
Jute or other fiber like insulation material is going to be a sound absorber.

Sound deadener (should be called vibration deadener) will increase the efficiency of your speakers if you’re looking for better sound quality. Speakers move in and out to create pressure, if the enclosure they’re in expands and contracts at the same time it cancels out the pressure. Sound deadener on the sheet metal helps to prevent that expansion and contraction. Like a ball being thrown at a wall.

Mass loaded vinyl will block airborne noise like the wind as it’s blowing past the mirrors and door handles. Like a ball being thrown at a bed sheet hanging loosely from a clothes line.

The efficacy of sound deadener is not usually proportional to how much you use. I think dynamat claims 65% coverage is needed?

You’ll get more consistent results with MLV with more coverage.

Onizukachan

Great Teacher
Reaction score
I was active on diyma when they were more about adapting inexpensive but high quality part express amd other unknown speaker brands. Once it became a bit of a inner circle circle jerk over boutique brands, I stopped participating much.
To try to make it simple
Aluminum backed butyl is a decoupler and mass loader, for ex
dynamat extreme. Those are good for low frequencies and resonances and if done well can serve as a noise barrier though that’s not it’s real purpose.
things like closed cell foam are good for high frequencies noise That comes thru metal panels like doors, rear walls, roofs etc.

on a carpeted floor for example there is no reason to use closed cell foam. The carpet does that job already.

Sean Sills

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hear a lot of road noise. Should I install noico? If so, I am assuming the floor, headliner, back wall. Yes or no? It's so loud in my truck people think that I have the window down. Does this mean that maybe noico won't stop that but possibly the door seals? Ideas?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DWPreston1969