Tuned PCM vortec 454 5 speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I meant BBP by BBT. Justin knows his ****, and I know he favors EFILive which is why I broke down the 98+ vs 97-. I can't intellegently speak to whether or not Justin uses HPT, I feel like if he did there'd be less of a disparity between the PCMs. It's more a question worth asking him vs me as I purchased a 411 from him as an EFILive owner.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I may shoot him an email, now I'm curious. Just really wondering what he uses for the '97 and older black box PCMs.

I've been thinking about trying to learn HPTuners or something similar, seems like it would be fun to mess with.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
98-00 blackbox PCMs are supported by EFILive which is what BBT uses. Anything prior must be tuned with HPTuners or swap in a 99+ LS1 (AKA LS1B PCM, AKA 411) PCM and then tune with EFILive via BBT.

I'm pretty sure HP Tuners also only supports 98+, as far as I know tunercats (or jet) are the only softwares available to tune a 96-97 truck. If you happen to have a 96-97 you're better off just doing the 0411 swap.

Even if you have a 98+ you're still better off doing the swap if you're going to spend the money for the software and put the time in. The tunability is much better with the 0411 (more tables and options), supercharged I'm sure you can attest to this.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Absolutely. Even NA the 411 is more responsive and it eliminated the Phantom knock my black box had. The swap takes an hour tops. The other advantage is it's the same PCM used by my Z06 and the neighbor's truck so I don't have to keep changing things around when I datalog. The dually gets one as soon as it's running again.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure HP Tuners also only supports 98+, as far as I know tunercats (or jet) are the only softwares available to tune a 96-97 truck. If you happen to have a 96-97 you're better off just doing the 0411 swap.

Even if you have a 98+ you're still better off doing the swap if you're going to spend the money for the software and put the time in. The tunability is much better with the 0411 (more tables and options), supercharged I'm sure you can attest to this.

i must say.....at the time i bought my truck, sight unseen on my brother's word of condition, i though it a 1997 model....i was just happy it had the newer interior. i wasn't familiar with the model and year differences......after i bought her and before going to get her i found out it was a '98...i still didn't realize the difference...or that it was the last iteration of my particular truck, a '98 Z71 1500 RCSB.

it's really, in my opinion, the best version of that particular model, considering the platform continued to live through 2002......it' a gussied up '97.....and a '96 is a gussied up '94 etc, etc, etc all the way back.

i have done some reading on the 411 swap....as i've ALWAYS adopted the "new kid's" crap to the older Harleys, valve trains come to mind.....''

ok.....i said all that **** to ask this....LOL. mr fu@kin long wind.
for a "daily driver" where an OPTIMIZED ENGINE is the goal, wouldn't it be easier to put a '98 PCM into a '96 or '97?
.....meaning i don't believe i need the all the bells and whistles of the 411 for my goals. wouldn't it be a similar swap for the 96-97 crew?
I may shoot him an email, now I'm curious. Just really wondering what he uses for the '97 and older black box PCMs.

I've been thinking about trying to learn HPTuners or something similar, seems like it would be fun to mess with.

if you're Scotty in engineering! LOL

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
Be careful on the torque you put on the NV4500 MW3, or in that fact the RT8. It has a 475 lb. ft. torque limit. but there is a shop, I think in Michigan, that cryogenic there parts to make them 30% stronger. which those are used for sled dragging. I plan on maxing that out with the 402 ci that I am working on. The NV3500 has a 325 lb. ft. torque rating. My stock engine gets 300 lb.ft. I want more so I swapped to the NV4500.

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just did an 0411 PCM swap on my 99 Suburban. The process is pretty straight forward and easy with the proper pin out sheet from Lextech.

I'm trying to do mine with HPTs. I have the L31 Engine segments from the Chevy express Van along with the 4l60e trans segments from an 01 Sierra as my base. The fuel trims are way off and I'm getting KR under medium to heavy load. I want to eliminate the KR before I start the VE tuning so I keep pulling timing and reshaping the timing table. It's going slow...

I kind wish I would have just gotten a PCM from Lextech from the beginning. I've done quite a bit of research and couldn't find ANY established GMT400 tuning provider who uses HP Tuners. Pretty much everyone using EFI Live.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i'm not intimately familiar with either swap...thanks

Either swap requires removing pins from the 97 connectors and swapping them to the respective new connector. Swapping to the

If you have a 98 it should be fine to tune as is, but it could be tuned to run better with the 0411, as supercharged pointed out. My swap is in progress so I do not have first-hand experience to report yet but most people claim mileage increase along with better throttle response. Plus you can rev the engine higher if the engine is capable of course.