Tuned PCM vortec 454 5 speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just did an 0411 PCM swap on my 99 Suburban. The process is pretty straight forward and easy with the proper pin out sheet from Lextech.

I'm trying to do mine with HPTs. I have the L31 Engine segments from the Chevy express Van along with the 4l60e trans segments from an 01 Sierra as my base. The fuel trims are way off and I'm getting KR under medium to heavy load. I want to eliminate the KR before I start the VE tuning so I keep pulling timing and reshaping the timing table. It's going slow...

I kind wish I would have just gotten a PCM from Lextech from the beginning. I've done quite a bit of research and couldn't find ANY established GMT400 tuning provider who uses HP Tuners. Pretty much everyone using EFI Live.

Redline, the stock L31 timing table for an express van didn't work?

Is your engine modified?

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Either swap requires removing pins from the 97 connectors and swapping them to the respective new connector. Swapping to the

If you have a 98 it should be fine to tune as is, but it could be tuned to run better with the 0411, as supercharged pointed out. My swap is in progress so I do not have first-hand experience to report yet but most people claim mileage increase along with better throttle response. Plus you can rev the engine higher if the engine is capable of course.

i did read that part about the pins...what i didn't "delve" into was the additional wiring needed...i think i remember 2 ways to do it....behind the dash or at the transmission...THAT'S where the job lost me......all that damned alphabet soup! i believe the pin-out diagram was posted in a thread or two.....i did read one complete thread and decided not to clog my limited brain capacity with that information.....i'd be forced to purge what's in there and i seem to need some of what i actually CAN retain at the moment...LMAO!

i think my engine is rated for a 5,500 red line, but noses over before that....i'd probably decrease the red line for longevity as i have for some of the new bikes i've tuned with the tuners i've mentioned.

i'm glad Jorge started this thread....i got the "watched threads" thing to work too.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Really awesome having this information. My truck is a '98 and I believe the stock computer being tuned is good for now.

Haven't put much thought into the 411 swap right yet but would be interesting to try in the future.

Kinda surprised to hear the torque capacity for the nv4500 to top out at 475ft lb. is it possible after a tuned PCM to be producing more torque then 475? I have no plans of hot rodding.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Really awesome having this information. My truck is a '98 and I believe the stock computer being tuned is good for now.

Haven't put much thought into the 411 swap right yet but would be interesting to try in the future.

Kinda surprised to hear the torque capacity for the nv4500 to top out at 475ft lb. is it possible after a tuned PCM to be producing more torque then 475? I have no plans of hot rodding.

i'm quite sure those #'s are at the crank...with a transfer case i'd knock off 20% to the rear wheels if running optimum....so maybe you have 360 ft lbs now.....i'd hazard a guess you'll be fine.

GM claims my 383 to be 323hp @4200 and 444tq @2700....so under perfect conditions maybe i'd see 350 now.....a guy on another forum dyno-tuned this same combo in his truck and got around 450ft lbs at the rear wheels..which makes sense....that's why i bought the 4L70 transmission, it's rated for 495 ft lbs v. the 4L60's 350ish ft lbs capacity.

normally you can expect 15% loss through the drive train, a bit more for 4wd.....parasitic loss.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I doubt the stock motor would exceed 475ft/lb with a stock exhaust and tune. I think Banks advertised an 80 or 100 ft/lb increase with their exhaust or power pack or something. I know there's a ton in the exhaust, and even more to be had with my boosted truck's exhaust.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah my exhaust won't be stock for long. In an earlier post I mentioned my future setup for when I get a tune

Cats deleted, dual 3" pipes to dual inlet muffler to dual outlet 2.5" tail pipes

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

It could be that you'd get close to this number, but I think it'll be fine. I'm sure new venture had some sort of safety factory on that rating, and as long as it's driven in a sensible manner I think you'd be hard pressed to damage it.

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
Jorge6.5 Shovelbill.
I live by both of you in Connecticut. I have HPtuners Pay the 100$ credit hptuners charges me and your more than welcome to use my software.
If either one of you are looking for a 0411 swap I have a spare ecm here . Takes about an afternoon to install . Pay the credit and the 50$ the ecm cost me its yours . Ill even help install it if you want.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Jorge6.5 Shovelbill.
I live by both of you in Connecticut. I have HPtuners Pay the 100$ credit hptuners charges me and your more than welcome to use my software.
If either one of you are looking for a 0411 swap I have a spare ecm here . Takes about an afternoon to install . Pay the credit and the 50$ the ecm cost me its yours . Ill even help install it if you want.

He'll man, I'll drive up and pay you to do it.LOL. Let me do some more research, let's talk on the phone

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Jorge6.5 Shovelbill.

Thank you very much for the offer. But, I would be totally lost with the software and won't have the time to play around with.

Would be great to see shovelbill take advantage of that offer and post up some results