Tuned PCM vortec 454 5 speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lately I've been considering a tuned PCM for my truck. Currently leaning toward black bear performance.

I've read some about torque management. Mostly related to the automatic transmissions. I have a 5 speed. Does the TM apply to the manual trucks?

I would like for the trucks hidden power to be unlocked and I don't need torque management, my right foot controls that.

Looking to hear others experiences with a tuned pcm particularly with a 5 speed truck.

Thanks

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
TM does still apply to manual trucks, though I can't say for sure if it applied to the 4500. I'm pretty sure the 3500 got it to save the syncros. The tables are there either way for a manual truck. Me and the neighbor lined up our trucks the other day: me in my 1500, him in his 2500 6.0. Both trucks are ECSB, 4L80, 4.10 and we were dead even through 1st. When we hit 2nd mine started to pull as it has a shift kit, TM delete, and shorter commanded shift times. I've been trying to twist his arm into letting me tune his truck for some time and I believe we just took a step forward in that regard. :)

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can someone explain about the active fuel management? It's listed in the black bear performance order from

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
When a V8 drops down to 4 cylinders for fuel economy. Not a factor for you. The wife's Envoy has it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Oh they're there, believe me. I downloaded a stock tune for a 454 Vortec and it's garbage. If you're willing to spring for premium the gains are even that much better. The 350 Vortec runs 100x better with a tune and the big block, by the looks of things, is no different. The amount left on the table on trucks in general is just insane. They're smart enough to save themselves just like the cars so I really don't understand why the additional safety net. I mean I beat the snausages out of my 1500 when I tow and it just doesn't care. I burn no more oil now than when I bought it in 09 damn near 100,000 miles ago.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I open the old tune from my truck there is a tab under the engine system for torque management as well as the transmission, and most of the torque management tables are under the engine tab. So there will be plenty to gain even if there isn't a TM tab for the manual itself.

You won't regret having it tuned.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Lately I've been considering a tuned PCM for my truck. Currently leaning toward black bear performance.

I've read some about torque management. Mostly related to the automatic transmissions. I have a 5 speed. Does the TM apply to the manual trucks?

I would like for the trucks hidden power to be unlocked and I don't need torque management, my right foot controls that.

Looking to hear others experiences with a tuned pcm particularly with a 5 speed truck.

Thanks

funny how this is the first post i see today.......either whilst waiting for the slumber wagon to take me or in an actual dream(don't have those much), i was 'imagining" myself driving my newly tuned truck.....all i remember is my face hurting from the big assed smiles i got.

ever since swapping the crate HT383E and 4L70 in i can't help but wonder just what kind of power is being left on the table. i was supposed to have had her dyno-tuned by now, but the timing and distance haven't cooperated.....now, with going back to work, i doubt it'll happen for months and impatience is starting to win me over.

i'm very impressed with the difference i can tell from the tired stock 350, especially the shift points......and there's such a cool feel to this stroker and exhaust combo..almost every time i drive her someone compliments how great she sounds...every time i'm driving her i just HAVE to do a WOT run to put a smile on my face......the marketing of the engine is brilliant too. which bugs the hell out of me.

at the bottom the the "details" section on the Jegs page it says "Performance recalibration of OEM ECU will significantly increase torque and horsepower"..............just WTF does that mean? LOL

my brain is telling me to wait so i can see a difference betwixt before and after.....on paper......but the visceral feeling may just be enough for me....i don't have or get "paper" on 95% of Harley engine builds or upgrades i do to be happy.....especially when i'm riding with someone that likes to play.

i want to find out something.
SOON

thanks for putting the carrot on the stick in front of me Jorge......LOL

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
funny how this is the first post i see today.......either whilst waiting for the slumber wagon to take me or in an actual dream(don't have those much), i was 'imagining" myself driving my newly tuned truck.....all i remember is my face hurting from the big assed smiles i got.

ever since swapping the crate HT383E and 4L70 in i can't help but wonder just what kind of power is being left on the table. i was supposed to have had her dyno-tuned by now, but the timing and distance haven't cooperated.....now, with going back to work, i doubt it'll happen for months and impatience is starting to win me over.

i'm very impressed with the difference i can tell from the tired stock 350, especially the shift points......and there's such a cool feel to this stroker and exhaust combo..almost every time i drive her someone compliments how great she sounds...every time i'm driving her i just HAVE to do a WOT run to put a smile on my face......the marketing of the engine is brilliant too. which bugs the hell out of me.

at the bottom the the "details" section on the Jegs page it says "Performance recalibration of OEM ECU will significantly increase torque and horsepower"..............just WTF does that mean? LOL

my brain is telling me to wait so i can see a difference betwixt before and after.....on paper......but the visceral feeling may just be enough for me....i don't have or get "paper" on 95% of Harley engine builds or upgrades i do to be happy.....especially when i'm riding with someone that likes to play.

i want to find out something.
SOON

thanks for putting the carrot on the stick in front of me Jorge......LOL

Just a heads up, a mail order tune on a 383 stroker will probably leave bunch on the table. Having it tuned on a dyno would be best.