Tuned PCM vortec 454 5 speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thank you...i kinda knew that....but it's really what i needed to hear, to pull the reins back a bit, LOL....

Ask me how I know. haha

I used a mail order tune on my 489 stroker, it ran pretty well but now that I have tuning software and can see what was changed I know there is a lot to be had.

It could be that Blackbear puts more work into his mail order tunes, but the tuner that did mine only messed with the VE tables below 2000 rpm, added 4 degrees of timing across the board, and removed TM. To make up for the VE tables not being correct he just commanded 12.2 AFR in PE mode to keep things safe. Probably only took a half hour to make the changes.

That being said, for a truck that is pretty close to stock this would be more than acceptable.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Lately I've been considering a tuned PCM for my truck. Currently leaning toward black bear performance.

I've read some about torque management. Mostly related to the automatic transmissions. I have a 5 speed. Does the TM apply to the manual trucks?

I would like for the trucks hidden power to be unlocked and I don't need torque management, my right foot controls that.

Looking to hear others experiences with a tuned pcm particularly with a 5 speed truck.

Thanks

Jorge and Christian,
have you looked in this unit, is it a viable option for what we're looking to do?
http://store.blackbearperformance.com/EFILive-AutoCal-Tuning-System_p_8.html

this truck is like Star Trek to me....a scan tool to bleed the brakes? LOL.....my daily rider is a kick start Harley, just to give yu a point of perspective to my state of mind.

i'm not very savvy on these computer controlled trucks....i'm slowly learning but really not to knowledgeable as to "best" product for my needs at the moment.

for the new BCM Harley's there are a few "learning" tuners that actually work pretty well.....after the initial setup for the engine's recipe, it will fine tune itself to the riders style.....all out horse power is not my goal, just the most bang for my buck above the "stock replacement" for my 383......sure would be nice to have a POWER button for city operation (i like to pass the alien fu@ks in front of me) and an ECONOMY tune for long distance highway driving.

does such a beast exist? is this what you're looking for as well Jorge?

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What year is your truck? If it is 98 or newer that should work pretty well for you. That would also be the next best option to a dyno tune (they won't be able to fine tune WOT as there won't be a wideband o2 sensor) but they can probably get it running pretty well. You can't change these tunes on the fly, but it looks like you will have the option of multiple tunes.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just FYI, when I had my red truck tuned by Black Bear they told me that the AutoCal option wasn't available for my truck. 98+ PCMs might be able to do it, but 97 and older are restricted to standard mail order tunes.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
What year is your truck? If it is 98 or newer that should work pretty well for you. That would also be the next best option to a dyno tune (they won't be able to fine tune WOT as there won't be a wideband o2 sensor) but they can probably get it running pretty well. You can't change these tunes on the fly, but it looks like you will have the option of multiple tunes.

i was hoping you'd say that....i have a '98. perhaps they have experience with various combinations to come quite close, certainly better than the stock 5.7 program and what the O2 sensors can deal with.

i have a Voltant air box, JBA shorty headers, a mandrel bent non CA/NY spec MagnaFlow Y pipe and the JBA single sided cat back setup. was thinking it could make decent "big block" power with a drop in crate engine.

what can be expected as far as increases in the 454 Jorge? what was the stock #'s....285/380ish? i'd imagine the "fuel economy" could be brought up some with a better (non-tree hugger) tune.....i believe my friend said he saw a noticeable increase with just a good exhaust and flow matched injectors.

i was told getting rid of the poppet injectors for a different system is also cost effective....not sure on that though.

i'll shut up now and just watch from my corner.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i was hoping you'd say that....i have a '98. perhaps they have experience with various combinations to come quite close, certainly better than the stock 5.7 program and what the O2 sensors can deal with.

i have a Voltant air box, JBA shorty headers, a mandrel bent non CA/NY spec MagnaFlow Y pipe and the JBA single sided cat back setup. was thinking it could make decent "big block" power with a drop in crate engine.

what can be expected as far as increases in the 454 Jorge? what was the stock #'s....285/380ish? i'd imagine the "fuel economy" could be brought up some with a better (non-tree hugger) tune.....i believe my friend said he saw a noticeable increase with just a good exhaust and flow matched injectors.

i was told getting rid of the poppet injectors for a different system is also cost effective....not sure on that though.

i'll shut up now and just watch from my corner.

Honestly, not sure what to expect. I'm unfamiliar with tuned PCMs, never had one. I definitely want increased power and increased fuel mileage would be awesome.

From what I read, 290hp and 450ft stock. Would be nice to have over 300hp to the wheels.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new exhaust. Plans are new 3" pipes off the stock down pipes. Cat delete, cause they are shot. Dual inlet muffler straight through to dual outlet 2.5" tail pipes. I figure that should be sufficient in preparation for the tuned PCM

I don't tow a whole lot but when I do it's usually heavy. Don't get me wrong, the truck pulls fairly well but considering it's a 454 I would expect more.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Other reasons for getting a tune is the ability to be rid of the security that came stock on the truck. Ive heard others having issues with it and it has stopped me from starting my truck in the past.

Also having the post cat converter O2 sensors deleted from the program. I'm removing the cats, one is plugged and the other has blown out matterial already. Here in upstate NY my truck is exempt from emissions testing, my truck is over 8500lb gvwr.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
when i re-did mine i just got new converters because i had no one to do any computer work and didn't want to screw anything up....the setup i have should be just fine for for my requirements...it's my "daily driver" when i need 4 wheels.....i did some research before i bought everything, it should all work well together. i just want it to run at it's optimum level and be reliable, which shouldn't be a problem.

the only big block i ever had was a 421 we slung in my '63 Grand Prix when i was a kid. i didn't know ANYTHING then, not that i know much now...haha....other than that all small blocks in my trucks....my first fuel injected vehicle was the '90 K/5 my friend gave my 6 or so years ago...THAT was too advanced for my tastes, LOL.

i don't know what my buddy did for an exhaust, but he made it seem like it was important to the motor with so few modifications....he tows with it too....love the 6.5 in his 1500, but figured he could buy a LOT of gas for what a proper conversion would have cost him....he says the 454 tows fine now.

NY and their CARB compliant bullshit...i had to get my Maggiepipe and cats from Canada, Jegs and Summit wouldn't even send it to me in NY.....fu@k the fu@kin [email protected] no emissions on '98 and under and the weight deal you had.....mine still had to be plugged in though.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
98-00 blackbox PCMs are supported by EFILive which is what BBT uses. Anything prior must be tuned with HPTuners or swap in a 99+ LS1 (AKA LS1B PCM, AKA 411) PCM and then tune with EFILive via BBT.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
98-00 blackbox PCMs are supported by EFILive which is what BBT uses. Anything prior must be tuned with HPTuners or swap in a 99+ LS1 (AKA LS1B PCM, AKA 411) PCM and then tune with EFILive via BBT.

You're talking about Black Bear Performance, right?

I'm assuming they probably have access to HPTuners as well for the 96-97 stuff if so, because they do offer standard mail order tunes for those years. Is EFILive just not compatible with anything older than '98 in general? Or is it an issue specific to the black box PCMs in our trucks?

Edited the post because I can't spell...

Last edited: