Tuned PCM vortec 454 5 speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It works but I'm running into some knock issues. My truck is completely stock besides an exhaust with a 127k. I think my engine is healthy but now I'm not sure. I've had it for 3 years and have had to replace anything beside the battery. So I'm going to do a full tune up.

My old laptop died this week so I bought a new one last night. I have to get HPTs reinstalled and reconfigured. I need to work on my VE table big time and then start MAF tuning.

Let me know what you figure out, that stinks your computer died.

Are you VE tuning with trims or using a wideband? I spent a couple hours yesterday working on mine with a wideband and that seemed to be working pretty well. It could be worth grabbing a wideband to save time.

I'm not sure what could be so far off with the express van tune to cause a bunch of KR though, considering that the engines should be the same. How much KR are you seeing? It's not a false knock is it? I had an exhaust leak showing up as false knock that was causing up to 6* KR.

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Let me know what you figure out, that stinks your computer died.

Are you VE tuning with trims or using a wideband? I spent a couple hours yesterday working on mine with a wideband and that seemed to be working pretty well. It could be worth grabbing a wideband to save time.

I'm not sure what could be so far off with the express van tune to cause a bunch of KR though, considering that the engines should be the same. How much KR are you seeing? It's not a false knock is it? I had an exhaust leak showing up as false knock that was causing up to 6* KR.

Trims. I don't have a WB for this truck yet.

I think it's real KR because I could hear pinning. I also had an exhaust leak that I just fixed last weekend. I thought that might take care of it but it didn't. It would spike to 6* and then slowly back off down the zero. I think the last log it only went up to 3* but I still have a lot of work to do.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Trims. I don't have a WB for this truck yet.

I think it's real KR because I could hear pinning. I also had an exhaust leak that I just fixed last weekend. I thought that might take care of it but it didn't. It would spike to 6* and then slowly back off down the zero. I think the last log it only went up to 3* but I still have a lot of work to do.

Well good luck, I hope you get it figured out.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I got a lot of false knock from 3000+ on the black box no matter what I did. On 91 octane I pulled the timing map down to less than stock and it still did it, so I said **** it and gave the motor what I though it wanted. After the 411 swap that all went away and the motor gobbled up even more timing and ran a lot harder especially up top.