torsion bars stuck need help fast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97k1500z71

Reaction score
yea he has to get all the junk out of the way to drop the t-bar crossmember and crap. Plus anyone who goes thru this trouble should take it apart, clean it, paint it, and then put it back together. he already tried to get it all down as one assembly and that didn't work.

Not to mention 2 inch or any lift keys on these trucks is pure BS, no need for them, they do NOTHING.

The point was you telling him how to unbolt the torsion keys, he's already been there done that he's way past that point.

wow just sayin that if all he was doin was puttin drop brackets for the torsion bracket there is no need to remove the bars from the crossmember or the arms, i did mine just last week without removing either and dropped it as a unit, its easy, all you have to do is remove the transmission crossmember. at this point with that being his DD id assume he needed it done quick, so he could drive it, not beautiful. as far as keys go, i was saying that would be the only reason to have to remove them, i didnt say they were good.

and you DONT have to pull them to do it, anyone who says you absolutely have to is a liar, i JUST did it less than a week ago, and my truck is sitting outside with a pro comp 6" on it as we speak. it can be done.

97k1500z71

Reaction score
attachment.php

horrible quality from my phone but twisting this was i dropped everything in 10 or 15 min in one piece, and you can see the atmosphere and tools i have to work with. if your in a shop it could be done 100 times easier.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well I aint gonna argue with you over it, you can argue with him if you want. He's the one doing it not me. I aint put a lift on so I aint had any problems. Only one I lifted was an 86. I'm sure he already tried, he had said it before that he tried to remove it all together and it did not work. You got yours done that way, good, maybe you got lucky. yea I know your working conditions I have the same ones myself been doing it that way for years. Outside in the dirt, no concrete, mud, water, snow, wind, rain, everything. I think it was one of my first responses to him to pull it all at once and he said he tried and it wouldn't work. Why? no clue I aint there, just trying to help the guy out. yea he don't have to clean it and paint it but I would he said somewhere he had done his frame.

97k1500z71

Reaction score
well I aint gonna argue with you over it, you can argue with him if you want. He's the one doing it not me. I aint put a lift on so I aint had any problems. Only one I lifted was an 86. I'm sure he already tried, he had said it before that he tried to remove it all together and it did not work. You got yours done that way, good, maybe you got lucky. yea I know your working conditions I have the same ones myself been doing it that way for years. Outside in the dirt, no concrete, mud, water, snow, wind, rain, everything. I think it was one of my first responses to him to pull it all at once and he said he tried and it wouldn't work. Why? no clue I aint there, just trying to help the guy out. yea he don't have to clean it and paint it but I would he said somewhere he had done his frame.

not tryin to be ******, just i know how forums work, if you dont have a reputaition nobody listens to you. i was just offering advice . wasnt 86 solid front tho?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yep that's why I said I never done a lift on an ifs truck, so I never had any problems. Mine swas only a PITA getting the sway bar hooked back up.

I don't look at rep and pay any mind to that crap. I just look at answer that get posted and yours was just one that was covered before. It would have been my 2nd choice after not being able to get them apart, trying to get it all out at once.

I ran into one of those lair deals on the 86, everyone said you don't need the sway bar drop brackets, BS ours wouldn't bolt up without them and it barely bolted up with them.

anyways there 97 have I saw any pics of your truck on here? if you got some plz direct me to them.

Another question while we are on these lifts I never paid attention before but does the entire torsion bar crossmember get dropped with brackets or what? it must since you dropped it out. I never paid any attention as to if the whole crosssmember dropped or what

Last edited:

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
im sure he has a reason to be taking the bars out.

Good to hear he got one out!, cant wait for the finished product!

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
wow, what a drawn out debate.....

I couldnt get the bolts that hold the lower control arms out.... As is it took me 2 hours with an air chisel to bust the passenger side free, and I didnt get the drivers side in anywhere near that fast an amount of time. Now I can drop the tranny cross member and remove them all as one piece. I do want to rip them apart for cleaning and painting. I did my rotors and frame last night, and tonight I didnt give two ***** about painting. LOL Tomorrow I should get the rest dropped and then fly through installing everything.

Chris, the cross member gets brackets that bolt to the frame andd drop the torsion bar crossmember. So yes the whole thing drops down.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
wow, what a drawn out debate.....

I couldnt get the bolts that hold the lower control arms out.... As is it took me 2 hours with an air chisel to bust the passenger side free, and I didnt get the drivers side in anywhere near that fast an amount of time. Now I can drop the tranny cross member and remove them all as one piece. I do want to rip them apart for cleaning and painting. I did my rotors and frame last night, and tonight I didnt give two ***** about painting. LOL Tomorrow I should get the rest dropped and then fly through installing everything.

Chris, the cross member gets brackets that bolt to the frame andd drop the torsion bar crossmember. So yes the whole thing drops down.

Good to hear about progress Sully!, i didn't realize you were doing this all on the floor!

97k1500z71

Reaction score
yep that's why I said I never done a lift on an ifs truck, so I never had any problems. Mine swas only a PITA getting the sway bar hooked back up.

I don't look at rep and pay any mind to that crap. I just look at answer that get posted and yours was just one that was covered before. It would have been my 2nd choice after not being able to get them apart, trying to get it all out at once.

I ran into one of those lair deals on the 86, everyone said you don't need the sway bar drop brackets, BS ours wouldn't bolt up without them and it barely bolted up with them.

anyways there 97 have I saw any pics of your truck on here? if you got some plz direct me to them.

Another question while we are on these lifts I never paid attention before but does the entire torsion bar crossmember get dropped with brackets or what? it must since you dropped it out. I never paid any attention as to if the whole crosssmember dropped or what

i have a album of pictures in my profile, mainly of my 79 k5, but theres pictures of my old 88 f150 on 38s and my 95 stang, but theres some pics of my 97 ecsb also.

my 79 had a 355 with a th350 and a np205, pete jackson gear drive, heddman headers, edelbrock air gap rpm intake, edelbrock 650 cfm with adjustable secondaries, rv cam, b&m shift kit, 3500 stahl, d44s with 3.73s, no rust from florida.

my 95 stang has a 5.0 ho with 351 cam journals, .30 over, 13:1 keith blacks with manley rods, gt40 intake, 65mm bbk throttle body and bbk cold air induction, e303 cam, underdrives, ac/smog delete, msd blaster, off road h pipe catless with flowmasters, 8.8 with 3.55s, tko 500 tranny, king cobra clutch, etc....

glad to hear yer half done, good luck with the other side!