torsion bars stuck need help fast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea I like the older squarebodies. anything 73-87 but love the pre 80's with the round lights.

97k1500z71

Reaction score
yea I like the older squarebodies. anything 73-87 but love the pre 80's with the round lights.

yessir, i got it with a blown up 383 and the rest of the stuff in parts for under 300 bucks worth of trading, 35x17.50r15s mt bajas, 6" suspension lift, i basically stole it ha, but the stang is the main project now, besides the 97 chebby of course

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
excuse me ladies, while I comment on the threads subject

Good to hear about progress Sully!, i didn't realize you were doing this all on the floor!

Yup, all the work is being done on a set of jack stands. Its honestly a fairly simple install. Im just having to deal with 533k on my trucks frame. Bolts are stuck in bushings, nuts are rusted to the pieces they are holding on, and oil/grease caked with mud is everywhere!!!! Its funny though because with just a little bit of thinking you can figure out which part is going where and how, so my "retain stock hardware" is all going on the new parts in the spots they are going to be needed.

97k1500z71

Reaction score
excuse me ladies, while I comment on the threads subject

Yup, all the work is being done on a set of jack stands. Its honestly a fairly simple install. Im just having to deal with 533k on my trucks frame. Bolts are stuck in bushings, nuts are rusted to the pieces they are holding on, and oil/grease caked with mud is everywhere!!!! Its funny though because with just a little bit of thinking you can figure out which part is going where and how, so my "retain stock hardware" is all going on the new parts in the spots they are going to be needed.

i bought my lift used and was going to order new hardware kit, but ended up goin down to the local hardware store and picking up all grade 8 stuff and customizing it, and i hear ya there, my truck has 240k miles on it, but no rust atleast. hows progress going? i did mine on jackstands ON blocks because my stands weren't tall enough!!

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ha not everyone has a huge lift to do things on. If I done one I'd be in the dirt, not even a solid floor to work on.

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im glad when we do mine we will do it on my uncles lift it will be so much better than on the floor

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score

Didn't some 1980 C/Ks have round headlights and some didn't? And I couldn't agree more with the 73-80s grille and light combos, I love round headlights.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was never able to seperate my LCAs from my tbars on the big truck. Getting the keys off required a sledge and a lot of beating. A new tbar crossmember is cheap at the dealer (like $60.) Those LCA bolts will fight you because of the collar coming loose in the rubber. A torch will get them out. Good luck.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
only 1908, and I think the silverado's all got square ones in 80, but from 81 and up they were all square.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was never able to seperate my LCAs from my tbars on the big truck. Getting the keys off required a sledge and a lot of beating. A new tbar crossmember is cheap at the dealer (like $60.) Those LCA bolts will fight you because of the collar coming loose in the rubber. A torch will get them out. Good luck.

yeah I got the bolts out with an air chisel and then had to torch the bushings out when I replaced them... one needed it and the other 3 were jsut so I didnt have to mess with the torsion ***** again.

updated pics in my got new toys thread