torsion bars stuck need help fast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of installing my RCX kit and my torsion bars are stuck. They won't slide in any of the spots they are supposed to. I have tried a punch, air chisel, torch, and combinations of the three. I even tried dropping the control arms and cross member with them in place. Nothing is working. Now I'm on my cell posting this becuase I can't get home without the truck. Anyone with ideas please pm or text me as I won't be able to easily check this thread.

905 586 1704

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
Just spoke with Sully, he's soaked them in penetrating oil and beat the hell out of it with no progress.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ouch I sent him a pm and said to do that very thing. I heard they can pretty much weld themselves in there and just soak and hammer em. Are they stuck in the control arm or the torsion key or both? I know he said he tried to take them down but what about the whole torsion bar crossmember and lowers? Maybe he can unbolt the crossmember and twist it out of there and drop it all out?

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First thank you to butch, ndians, and swims for the help.

The torsion bars are stuck on both ends. I can't get them to budge in either the cross member or the lower control arms. I have both the cross member and the lowers ready to drop. I was going to drop them with the bars in place since they mount up together anyway. The bars won't let me move the lowers enough to free the pressure on the bolts holding the lowers in. And without being able to atleast move the bars at one end, I can't wiggle the crossmember free either. I have called it a night on these things. I sprayed them with more penetrant and am letting them sit. If I can't free them in the morning, I will cut them so I can get the cross member and lowers off and then replace them. Once I have them cut and on the bench, I will win. 20ton hydraulic press on stand by will garuntee my victory, but the torch can be used a little more carelessly once I don't have to worry about ruining my bars.

The upside to all this is that I undercoated my frame and it will be in the heated shop overnight to dry. I also will get to swap to a set of 2500 torsion bars should I end up cutting them.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
i have to pass by my uncles shop tomorrow, he does lifts on a regular basis, i will ask if he has any tips.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
My uncle phoned to talk to my dad, I asked him and he said to use ALOT of penetrating lube, something good like Move-It, and use a torch to your advantage, he said thats all he has ever done, but they can be quiet a *****, especially on 88-98's.

Sounds like what you have been doing though, hopefully they loosen up over night

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
x2 hope they give up, if not like you said you can cut em. have you tried to jack the lower control arm up to see if it'll maybe break it loose?

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah..... ive used the torch to heat the surrounding areas. My issue is that I dont want to heat hte torsion bars so I am trying not to go too nuts on it. Then when I heat up the second end,the first one has time to cool enough that its not hot enough.