torsion bars stuck need help fast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97k1500z71

Reaction score
just unload the bars, that only take 5 min, use a regualar or large c clamp

unthread the majority of the bolt thread, put your c clamp on, undo the rest of threads and remove the little square in your crossmember for the keys, unload the rest of the c clamp slowly and its done. its 2 or 3 min per side, then the lower arms just hang wherever, its not as much pressure as you might think.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
he's past that already he's trying to get the bars out of the keys or the bars out of the control arms. They are stuck.

97k1500z71

Reaction score
but if he is only doing a lift there is no need to unless he's doin 2" keys or TB relocators...

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea he has to get all the junk out of the way to drop the t-bar crossmember and crap. Plus anyone who goes thru this trouble should take it apart, clean it, paint it, and then put it back together. he already tried to get it all down as one assembly and that didn't work.

Not to mention 2 inch or any lift keys on these trucks is pure BS, no need for them, they do NOTHING.

The point was you telling him how to unbolt the torsion keys, he's already been there done that he's way past that point.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
I'd cut a notch in the keys, take them off, clean the ends of the T-bar where they were inserted in the keys, get some ford keys, and for the front, where the bars go in control arm, id heat the bar red hot, get a 3-4 foot pipe on the end of the bar that you can see through the control arm and slam it with the biggest hammer you can find.

Last edited:

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
Update: Passenger side control arm is loose, he's still wailing away at the driver side.

Also teaser pic in his "build" thread, well worth the peak IMO

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
I'd cut a notch in the keys, take them off, clean the ends of the T-bar where they were inserted in the keys, get some ford keys, and for the front, where the bars go in control arm, id heat the bar red hot, get a 3-4 foot pipe on the bar and slam it with the biggest hammer you can find.

Ford keys are useless in our trucks FYI they do wonders for NBS's but not ours, 3/4 ton t-bars on the other hand are a different story.