ECM trouble dtc 51 PROM error

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheKOOK

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1988 Cheyenne K2500 4X4 and a couple of days ago the truck stalled while idling at a red light and the power seems low when accelerating. I got home and noticed the SES light came on so I checked for any codes and I got code 51 which says there an error with PROM. I removed the ECM and PROM to check for anything unusual but everything appears normal. If I were to replace the PROM which one would be the right one for my truck?

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Manual or automatic?
The ECM is more than likely the 1227747 and was used from '87-'91. It could be that somone just grabbed a ECM out of the junkyard and popped it in there and it's not the right prom for your truck.
Here's a list of .bins with the broadcast codes for the 7747 ECM,
If your truck has the correct ECM then you may be able to get the right prom for it. The ECM is behind the glovebox in the extreme right corner of the cab. You will have to pull the glovebox liner to access it.

TheKOOK

Reaction score
Manual or automatic?
The ECM is more than likely the 1227747 and was used from '87-'91. It could be that somone just grabbed a ECM out of the junkyard and popped it in there and it's not the right prom for your truck.
Here's a list of .bins with the broadcast codes for the 7747 ECM,
If your truck has the correct ECM then you may be able to get the right prom for it. The ECM is behind the glovebox in the extreme right corner of the cab. You will have to pull the glovebox liner to access it.
its an automatic 5.7L