tire psi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have no clue where to post this, so if it's in the wrong place feel free to move it where it belongs and maybe I'll know what section to go to for future reference. Anyways, what's a good psi to run my tires at? Tires say 65 psi maximum, but I have a feeling it should be around 35.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I have no clue where to post this, so if it's in the wrong place feel free to move it where it belongs and maybe I'll know what section to go to for future reference. Anyways, what's a good psi to run my tires at? Tires say 65 psi maximum, but I have a feeling it should be around 35.

35 is a good all around psi

It really depends on what your goals/needs are and what kind of tire you run.

My 35's say 50 max and i run them at 40 to get better gas mileage and highway manners. When its snowy or icy i prefer to run them at 30psi for more traction.
The greater the psi the less resistance, but loss of comfort and increased wear and tear on suspension.

on my old crappy tires i was able to get more life out of them by running a higher psi to make the center of the tire make more contact with the road to help prevent more cupping of the tire caused by bad bushings.

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
If the tires say max 65, then I would not run them at 35. I would think they might overheat at the lower PSI.....I would try 50 and see how that works.

What size and make of tires are these?

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I run my 285/75r16's at 35-40 and they wear evenly. If I haul heavy weight for a long distance I'll put the rears to 50 and in the winter I also drop mine down to 30.

Sent from my throttle body injected galaxy note3

rosco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 265/75 16 Cooper ATPs recommend 44 max. I normally run them between 35 to 40 for the best fuel mileage and wear. I did run the max for a little bit, but I was towing a travel trailer and dropped it back down after the trip. The tread seems to wear fairly even after 40k+ miles. However, I gotta agree with what was already said. With a 65psi max, I would start around 50 and see how the wear after a couple thousand miles. Adjust the pressure from there if you need to.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
40-45 psi imo. If you aren't loading it heavy, no need to max them out and I'm not a fan of 30-35 psi driving characteristics. I usually run 8 or 10 ply tires at 45 and 6 ply around 40 psi.

Chris6060

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree with the guy above me. I don't like the driving characteristics of the softer 30-35PSI. I prefer 35-40 on a 6-ply.

I'm running a 10 ply set at the moment and don't know if I ever will again... The tires wear AMAZING, but they lack traction BAD, even on dry pavement and are not the kind of ride I prefer.

Maybe just because they're on a half ton?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I keep 50 in my 35" 10 ply mud tires, like stated above, im not a fan of how a truck drives with 35 psi in the tires, and it increases the chances of the tread cupping.