First real test drive today, after V8 swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reply #3 would be the files I tried first for that ecm. Others may be more recent in the thread.
^^^Same here but, I've been using the v5.0.adx and see a 5.2.zdx there. It's usually best to use the highest version ;)

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Reply #3 would be the files I tried first for that ecm. Others may be more recent in the thread.

Indeed. I had to wait for account activation before I could download anything. Working on it now.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Indeed. I had to wait for account activation before I could download anything. Working on it now.
Thats interesting, I downloaded a file there a while back and didn't create an account....

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Managed to get this far.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is as I'm just sitting here idling, at operating temperature, after a "spirited" test drive. Things were actually going sort of ok. Seems like as soon as the engine temp gets around 225~ish, that's when the oil pressure tanks. That's also when the engine starts acting up.

So, I waited for 225 to hit, then FLOORED it in first gear. Lost all power, backfired, then slowly came back around.

Otherwise, I've no clue what to start looking for (data log wise).

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I waited for 225 to hit, then FLOORED it in first gear. Lost all power, backfired, then slowly came back around.

Otherwise, I've no clue what to start looking for (data log wise).
Record a log so it shows data before. during, and after the engine is acting up. Then look at what changes like, O2 Voltage, timing, TPS, MAP (vacuum), etc. I don't remember, did you confirm fuel pressure at idle and WOT when it acts up too?

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well for starters you shouldn't be getting to 225. Why is it getting so hot?

That's not normal? Running lean maybe?

Couldn't be due to excessive spark advance because it ran to 225 even before I advanced the base timing to 12°.

Record a log so it shows data before. during, and after the engine is acting up. Then look at what changes like, O2 Voltage, timing, TPS, MAP (vacuum), etc. I don't remember, did you confirm fuel pressure at idle and WOT when it acts up too?

Fine! Can you teach this software-ignorant person how to do that?

I have not confirmed fuel pressure, at all, since I've gotten it inspected.... because my TBI adapter broke. I have the adapter to put a fuel pressure gauge where the fuel filter is. Gotta find a way to read that while I'm flying down my street at 45 mph.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That's not normal? Running lean maybe?

Couldn't be due to excessive spark advance because it ran to 225 even before I advanced the base timing to 12°.

Fine! Can you teach this software-ignorant person how to do that?

I have not confirmed fuel pressure, at all, since I've gotten it inspected.... because my TBI adapter broke. I have the adapter to put a fuel pressure gauge where the fuel filter is. Gotta find a way to read that while I'm flying down my street at 45 mph.

I'd lean more toward a cooling issue than a tuning issue, truck should have enough cooling capacity to pull more than its own ass down the road I can't imagine idling overloading it.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you teach this software-ignorant person how to do that?
Simply go to "Acquisition" on the top toolbar, scroll down and click on "Record". Then follow what it says - IIRC you will have to give it a target file location.

Drive around or whatever it takes to make it act up and go back to normal. Then go to "Acquisition\Stop", and save it to your location. I suggest you create a folder in Documents titled something like "88 C1500 Data Logs", or whatever. You'll be making a bunch of logs before you're through. I'll usually name each file with the date such as "Log 03-31-24". If you do more than one log in a day, "Log 03-31-24a" and so on. This way, you can name screenshots differently to keep them separate. HTH

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like as soon as the engine temp gets around 225~ish, that's when the oil pressure tanks. That's also when the engine starts acting up.
Yikes brotha! That’s kinda warm. 195 is normal. Now I wonder if it’s pulling timing out because it’s starting to knock and ping at higher temperatures.