Oil cooler after engine swap leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paveldzh

Reaction score
Hello,
After doing an engine swap on my 97' c1500 5.7 I'm leaking lots and lots of oil from the oil cooler. It seems that the old 5.7 was from a k1500 and the oil coolers were different. I noticed that the (flanges?) were different on both coolers and I'm not sure if it's interchangeable between models.

I'd really like to retain my old oil cooler as it didn't leak anywhere and the filter is bigger, is it possible?

The one with the machined surface is the k1500 oil cooler and the cast looking one is the c1500 cooler.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Both truck engines will accept either oil cooler adapter. One is for a 2wd truck and the other is for a 4wd truck. They are interchangeable as the blocks are all machined the same at the filter location

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is the oil filter adapter. The oil cooler is in the radiator. There small blocks, all the same mounting base. The K models, 4X4, have filter mounted horizontal to provide drivetrain clearance.

paveldzh

Reaction score
Update: I fixed it.

Turns out I double gasketed it, the other gasket in there was semi permanently bonded to the engine and using a scraper I could not tell that there was another gasket until I started furiously stabbing it.

Ended up using a die grinder and a green 3m bristle brush to get it out and clean.