Engine Bay has white smoke after oil cooler delete and pan gasket replaced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a 1997 Chevrolet K1500 Vortec 5700 4WD Z71. I recently deleted my oil cooler lines and replaced several parts. I replaced the:

Oil Pan Gasket (FEL-PRO OS34500R)
Oil filter adapter (Melling MFA 350)
Oil filter adapter gasket (came with the pan gasket as a kit)
WIX XP 51060XP filter for a C/K 2500/3500
Replaced with Royal Purple 5W-30 synthetic oil
Also replaced the front diff gear oil with MasterPro 80W-90 gear oil

After starting the truck up, everything seemed to run fine. However, after driving 1/4 mile, I noticed white smoke coming from the engine bay. Also, the oil pressure seems high to me.

You must be registered for see images attach

Now this job was VERY MESSY. I originally wanted to replace my cooler lines with 2500/3500 cooler lines, but they were too short. I also tried replacing the oil filter adapter for one off a '97 Chevrolet C2500, but the adapter was too tall and the filter rubbed on my front driveshaft. I tried plugging the holes on the oil filter adapter with rubber stoppers, but the blew out and oil spilled everywhere. After my Dad and I cleaned it up, I went back and drained any excess oil, re replaced the adapter with the Melling MFA 350 adapter and screwed back on the WIX XP 51060XP oil filter. After driving a bit, said white smoke rose from the engine bay. I'm assuming it's excess oil burning off, but I'm not sure.

Also, there is no oil leaks either after a brief drive.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm assuming it's excess oil burning off, but I'm not sure.

That would be my guess, especially if any of the oil that blew out made it onto the exhaust.

I wouldn't worry about that oil pressure reading, especially considering it looks like your engine wasn't even up to temp yet. Mine are always a little higher than usual until everything warms up. My red '97 with the V6 (which IIRC uses the same oil pump as a 5.7L) will sometimes nearly peg the gauge on a cold startup.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That would be my guess, especially if any of the oil that blew out made it onto the exhaust.

I wouldn't worry about that oil pressure reading, especially considering it looks like your engine wasn't even up to temp yet. Mine are always a little higher than usual until everything warms up. My red '97 with the V6 (which IIRC uses the same oil pump as a 5.7L) will sometimes nearly peg the gauge on a cold startup.

THANK YOU! I was getting worried sick about this. That's what I figured as well. Also glad to know that high oil pressure isn't a huge deal either.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

. I tried plugging the holes on the oil filter adapter with rubber stoppers, but the blew out and oil spilled everywhere.
Kind of surprised your gift of foresight didn't lead you to this conclusion beforehand, but I'm glad through some experience you were able to get it sorted out. 40-60psi line pressure and rubber plugs is never a good thing.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kind of surprised your gift of foresight didn't lead you to this conclusion beforehand, but I'm glad through some experience you were able to get it sorted out. 40-60psi line pressure and rubber plugs is never a good thing.

I figured that threaded holes are protected by plastic plugs, (at least new parts that I've bought before) so why not plug the holes with rubber ones since they'll expand and contract with heat. As you said, that much psi was not good and I learned my lesson.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah if you shot oil everywhere, I'd expect to see some smoke for the next 30-60 minutes of runtime. It should get lighter and lighter over time. If it gets substantially worse over time, something is wrong.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your one of them. The ones that need direct supervision, and every task has to be inspected.
You should get on your knees and thank God you didn't seize that engine or leave a trail of oily broken parts. :3811797817_8d685371

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your one of them. The ones that need direct supervision, and every task has to be inspected.
You should get on your knees and thank God you didn't seize that engine or leave a trail of oily broken parts. :3811797817_8d685371

Yes, I honestly got lucky.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah if you shot oil everywhere, I'd expect to see some smoke for the next 30-60 minutes of runtime. It should get lighter and lighter over time. If it gets substantially worse over time, something is wrong.

Yeah I drove around for a bit and it went away. I've also gotten 2 car washes with the underside done as well. Just drips from leftover oil but after the 2 washes, everything looks good.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey, hear the one about the guy did oil cooler delete by sticking two rubber stoppers, like corks in a bottle, then wondered why all this white oil smoke came from? Should have video the plugs getting shot out when oil pressure came up. OMG, LOL, BWAHA! :jester:
You have now become a legend.