Oil Cooler and Oil filter relocate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Your oil cooler isn't built into the hot-side (left) radiator tank?

I'd expect your tall, skinny cooler is for the PS.

I believe I've read of some vehicles getting s standalone oil cooler, but I dont know what triggered it. Mine is in the radiator. The tall skinny one is certainly ps. His oil cooler is to the left of it and he's probably got a second out of picture for the atf.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
His set up looks like the 6.5 set up. The block ports look to be in the same place as well.
That is a 454/8.1L setup. Notice it has a knock sensor too in the picture. My 8.1Ls have the oil cooler lines directly in the block oil pan rail, I believe that started around 1991. The later big blocks all have the cooler lines in the oil pan rail.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is a 454/8.1L setup. Notice it has a knock sensor too in the picture. My 8.1Ls have the oil cooler lines directly in the block oil pan rail, I believe that started around 1991. The later big blocks all have the cooler lines in the oil pan rail.
Yes I know that he has a 454. I was just stating the the 6.5 set is is just about the same. As well as letting others know that not all oil coolers in these trucks are in the radiator.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

I had thought maybe it started with gen5 but wasnt sure. I am a bit surprised the 8.1 is the same. I thought it would be more like the ls that uses sort of a bolt on aluminium block looking thing.

I'm still kicking around the idea of reconnecting mine. The oil cooler in my current radiator has never had oil in it.

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had thought maybe it started with gen5 but wasnt sure. I am a bit surprised the 8.1 is the same. I thought it would be more like the ls that uses sort of a bolt on aluminium block looking thing.

I'm still kicking around the idea of reconnecting mine. The oil cooler in my current radiator has never had oil in it.
Yea, it was on the gen V. My 1990 has a mark IV and doesn’t have the ports on the block, and for some reason with a manual transmission you could not get an oil cooler so there are no ports on the oil filter adapter to hook the lines up.

Night Bomber

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was looking at a new Toyota GR86 and they had a really good location for the oil filter. Top of the engine mounted in a small tray designed to catch any drops of oil when the filter is being replaced. Wonder why this isn't a more common design idea.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe I've read of some vehicles getting s standalone oil cooler, but I dont know what triggered it. Mine is in the radiator. The tall skinny one is certainly ps. His oil cooler is to the left of it and he's probably got a second out of picture for the atf.
Based on his description, he's almost certainly mistaking the PS cooler for the engine oil cooler.

I would like to relocate the filter and put in a bigger cooler. The one now is only about 2 inches wide and 10 to 12 inches tall. With both fittings on the bottom.
You must be registered for see images attach

Wheeler454

Reaction score
The small skinny on on the right has two lines that go to the side of the block. The bigger one on the left has two lines that go to the transmission. I'm pretty sure I can follow a line and tell where it goes. But hey, who knows, maybe I'm going blind... but thanks for the help.