The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do i need to get a chip for my 94 k1500 if i run an engine with vortec heads and an rv cam in it? And i will be keeping the tbi set up. Just going to be using a holley tbi for it

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

1.) Yes, you'll need a tune. Especially if you want to actually see any gains from your new parts.

2.) I've heard nothing but negative about the Holley TBIs. I'd stick to factory if I were you.

kidd666

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1.) Yes, you'll need a tune. Especially if you want to actually see any gains from your new parts.

2.) I've heard nothing but negative about the Holley TBIs. I'd stick to factory if I were you.
Ok. So ill just run factory tb and where would you recommend getting a chip from?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok. So ill just run factory tb and where would you recommend getting a chip from?

I'm not really sure, sorry. Both of my trucks are Vortecs so I'm not really familiar with anyone who tunes the TBI PCMs. I would say TBIchips.com but I've heard some negative things about them lately too. Maybe someone else can chime in and give you a better answer.

Fimpen

Reaction score
I have a pretty weird issue with my truck. Its a 1990 c2500. 350tbi / 700r4. It have a pretty rough idle when its warm and in gear. In neutral/park it have a fine idle. And sometimes it can just randomly die on you. Most of the time when it dies is when you are at a redlight and are driving away.

Today I tried to figure out what cause it to die. But I'm clueless. I managed to make it die over and over again by holding the break pedal to the bottom and give it some rev's at the same time. It died instantly. It only died when I gave it some rev's, Never on break pedal only. And it only died in drive. Not in park or neutral. I cant figure it out. Any clues what I should look for?

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it were me I would check fuel pressure. Should be 9-13 PSI.

Fimpen

Reaction score
But can it really be a fuel pressure issue if you don't have any problems at max accelerations? I was thinking it might be connected to the brake booster / master cylinder, Since you only have this issue when holding the brake pedal down.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had nearly the exact same issue with my '89 Chevy. Would idle fine in Park and Neutral but put it in gear with the brake pedal engaged and it would idle rough and/or die, and sitting at a red light it would die as well. At speed it ran just fine though. Also, on occassion it would die coming from highway speeds to stop for a light or stop sign. Tested the IAC, TPS, CTS, EGR and MAP, all checked out good. Replaced the fuel filter but no change.

I happened across an article (that I can't find right now) that talked about the piece of fuel hose between FP outlet and feed on the pump itself that is prone to splitting. I checked fuel pressure and it was at 8 psi. Pulled the pump and found that, indeed, this piece of hose was split. Replaced the hose, checked fuel presure and it was at 13 psi, issue solved.

Checking the fuel pressure, in my mind, is a good place to start. HTH.

Shebrolet

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got what will likely be a stupid question for you fellas. (I'm pretty limited in terms of knowledge when it comes to engines, engine codes blah blah blah) So here goes. . . .

What the HELL are all the different L** number/combos when talking about the 6.0L engine? ? is it an LS engine? LQ4, LQ9, L79, LY6, L96? ? ? ?

I just want to compile a list of parts I will need to install a larger displacement, newer, more powerful, more torquey (sp?) 6.0L engine in my 98 C1500 half ton ex cab pickup..I dont intend on making a race truck or off road beast... I just want a bit more power and reliability to accompany it.

I've been scouring the interwebs in search of answers, and have only created MORE questions.

Which engines are a candidate for a swap into my OBS? I want mate it with a 4L80E automatic transmission.

I've started searching ebay etc for motors for sale, but also want to consider purchasing a totaled complete donor truck to snag engine/transmission/computer combo out of.

sorry if this is the wrong place for this post... Feel free to PM me with any info.. I just want to start searching for my parts, and know I'll get the right ones to get the job done.

04silvyhotrod

Reaction score
Hey guys new member here, I just bought a 89 k1500 last week with a bad motor. It was a 5.0 truck originally but somebody had done put a 350 in it.

So I bought a used 350 out of a 95 to go back in it. I put all the sensors and throttle body off the 350 that was in the truck on the motor I bought. I got the motor back in it and now having problems. I know your supposed to unplug the est wire and set it to 0 on the time and plug it back in. But when I do that the truck runs rough and hesitates bad. I can unplug the est and advance it myself and it runs great. Anybody got a clue what the problem could be? Can I drive the truck with it unplugged and not cause any damage? Any help is much appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahuskwulf