1995 350 Swap Questions and Clarification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwojoaa96

Reaction score
Hey guys, I did some searching but I’m a novice when it comes to engine swaps and motor work so I could use some help dumbing down if the jargon and abbreviations so I can do this understand how to get this job done. Never done a swap before.

Soooo I got my truck build to about 95% completion and cylinder four on my ol 4.3 decided to go catastrophic . I am wanting to upgrade if I have to pull the motor.

I have a 1995 half ton, good 4L60E that I swapped out of a 350 Camaro that I would like to keep. Rear end I have no info on it think it’s out of a Yukon it’s got 10 bolts on the cover. I’d like to keep it a tbi to minimize the modification work.

My questions:
what years are compatible, I know the transmission has 95 specific electronics and I don’t want to upset it with the computer work.
My motor has the “vortec” valve covers but it’s tbi so I’m assuming it’s tbi didn’t know what would work

Will my 4.3l harness be compatible with the 350 and just need to change the distributor ect or do I need to pull an entire harness.

What do I need to get in terms of ECM and what do I need to make it work with the TCM

Does the pre 95 interior or 95+ interior electronics have any interference with the selection of motor and ecm/chip/harness plugs ect

What should I know about gear ratios and what solutions do you reccomend.

What other info do I need to know.

What upgrades should I consider.

Thanks for everything

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. This gets enormously more complicated if the part of the "Usa" you're in is California or states/metro areas that badger and harass vehicle owners/operators like California does. Might as well sell the truck and buy one with a 5.7L already in it from the factory.

2. Look up the fun some of our other members here are having with engine swaps from V-6 to V-8. DeCaff2007 I think went on a multi-month crusade to get a V-8 in his truck. He's finally moved-on to posting about chassis/suspension/welding repairs, so I guess he eventually got the swap handled...but I thought the thing was going to end in divorce or sale of the truck. Expect to get a computer and "tune" for a vehicle like what you'll end-up with.

3. Download the service manual set for your vehicle from the links in the "sticky threads" section of this forum, and also get the service manuals for your donor vehicle. That way you can compare wire harnesses and other details.

4. Things are different between 4WD and 2WD, and you haven't told us which you have--although using a transmission from a Camaro means this is likely a C1500.

5. If possible, an upgrade to the rear axle and brakes is STRONGLY recommended. It's tougher with 2WD than with 4WD; and all of that is covered over and over again on this web site.

mwojoaa96

Reaction score
1. This gets enormously more complicated if the part of the "Usa" you're in is California or states/metro areas that badger and harass vehicle owners/operators like California does. Might as well sell the truck and buy one with a 5.7L already in it from the factory.

2. Look up the fun some of our other members here are having with engine swaps from V-6 to V-8. DeCaff2007 I think went on a multi-month crusade to get a V-8 in his truck. He's finally moved-on to posting about chassis/suspension/welding repairs, so I guess he eventually got the swap handled...but I thought the thing was going to end in divorce or sale of the truck. Expect to get a computer and "tune" for a vehicle like what you'll end-up with.

3. Download the service manual set for your vehicle from the links in the "sticky threads" section of this forum, and also get the service manuals for your donor vehicle. That way you can compare wire harnesses and other details.

4. Things are different between 4WD and 2WD, and you haven't told us which you have--although using a transmission from a Camaro means this is likely a C1500.

5. If possible, an upgrade to the rear axle and brakes is STRONGLY recommended. It's tougher with 2WD than with 4WD; and all of that is covered over and over again on this web site.

Thanks for the response. I couldn’t handle living in California. My truck is meant for the woods of Indiana.

I’ll look them up lol, if it’s too much I’ll just throw another 4.3 in but wanted to explore my options since I’m already gonna have to pull the motor and this swap seemed like the easiest route to add a little more fun when I’m driving to the bar or picking up feed lol.

Thank you for the info on the harness and rear axle/ brakes I didn’t consider that. And yes it is a c1500 forgot to mention that

Attachments

• IMG_4536.jpeg
    IMG_4536.jpeg
    349.9 KB · Views: 5