The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a tutorial on how to remove a 5.7 vortec from a truck (99 Suburban but really any GMT400). I have a 99 Suburban K1500 that appears to have a blown head gasket and has had water in the oil for seemingly a while now, and at 230K miles I'm skeptical that it's worth trying to salvage. I can get a crate motor for about $2K.

tim tanner

Reaction score
Hey y’all I’m looking for info my truck is still in the shop they finally got the cam out they sent it to a machine shop I don’t know why but they will make me a new cam and after looking around at cams and I would like to get the 395 cam I see the specs for it but before I call them I need to know if I can get by with my stock rockers or would I have to get some 1.5 or 1.6 rockers thanks

Reaction score
Your stock stamped rockers are 1.5 ratio. Upgrading your rockers is always a good idea just be wary that 1.6 rockers increase lift and duration so you may run into seal to keeper interference issues on vortec heads running that cam with 1.6 ratio rockers.

Reaction score
Ok. So ill just run factory tb and where would you recommend getting a chip from?
>Brian Harris @ tbichips.com is ok but it gets expensive if you have to get multiple chips burnt however when you can get a hold of him he is very helpful. I would say **** it and go with aftermarket injection. Its cheaper in the long run if you end up changing other aspects of your engine.

dylan5299

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the oil inlet line go into the top fitting of the radiator? I thought it did but I can't remember.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I tried skimming through this thread so I may have missed it.
Does anyone have the dimensions for the 350 tbi stock as in compression, bore diameter, stroke, rockers etc.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
So when the EST wire is unplugged it runs fine but when it's plugged in it doesn't? Sounds like issues with the dizzy/ignition control module to me. My truck wouldn't idle with the wire plugged in, dropped a new dizzy in and it's been peachy since.

JODiE_DLN

Reaction score
Just a quick question...
I'm wanting to get a Gatorback serpentine belt for my 88 Silverado small block with AC, PS, AP but I'm not really sure if it will fit/work. My current belt is a Prestone 1010k-6 which is about 100.984in length, but the continental Gatorback is only like 94.something inches , thats 6 or so inches difference, would this be ok? Or if not any recommendations for good quiet belts? I had a brand new Dayco but that thing squeaked like no tomorrow, that belt was around 101 inches I believe.

SCOTTROBIN

Reaction score
Post here if you have a simple question. This will help keep track of common info and reduce clutter.
I have an 88 gmc seirra with 454 tbi. I recently installed a new exhaust from manifolds back without the tubes. The egr selinoid and valve are still on and it keeps throwing the code. The engine runs like it's clogged up or restricted kinda like when it gets real hot and the fan clutch engages. Sometimes it'll clear up and accelerate then it runs smooth as glass. I don't know What to do to keep it smooth