The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James Polk

Reaction score
I have a 92' C1500 with a 4.3 V6. I eventually want to drop in a 350 with tbi. What is involved when doing this swap? Namely in regards to the actual electronic components responsible for controlling fuel injection. Quoting Dad "The Computer"

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anyone have their 5.7 vortec tuned for 93 octane? If so would you say the higher fuel price is worth the extra fuel cost over being tuned for 87 octane?

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does anyone have their 5.7 vortec tuned for 93 octane? If so would you say the higher fuel price is worth the extra fuel cost over being tuned for 87 octane?

No, but I have had a 4.3 Vortec tuned for 91. I had Black Bear revert it to 87 because I couldn't tell any difference.

Also Justin at Black Bear told me that anything over 89 was a waste on these Vortec engines in anything close to stock form. I only had my V6 tuned for 91 because I was experimenting with ethanol free gas and 91 was all that I could get locally in that flavor.

Reaction score
I have a 92' C1500 with a 4.3 V6. I eventually want to drop in a 350 with tbi. What is involved when doing this swap? Namely in regards to the actual electronic components responsible for controlling fuel injection. Quoting Dad "The Computer"
ECM with chip (pull from a junkyard v8 truck). distributor and ignition control module, and you may have to repin the ecm connector depending on what ecm you grab from the junkyard. You will have some extra electronicals like an extra knock sensor not sure what else though.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I did have the hypertech tuner and ran high octane for the spark knock.. To sum it up, I have set everything back to stock OEM settings. I did not see no whopping difference in the high octane. And with the Hypertech 160 degree stat, I had some issues with temps running to cold . I know this went beyond your question, but no the high octane was not worth the extra cost TO ME . Considering it is a point A to point B vehicle and I can't find a Prius that will drag race me =)

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
ECM with chip (pull from a junkyard v8 truck). distributor and ignition control module, and you may have to repin the ecm connector depending on what ecm you grab from the junkyard. You will have some extra electronicals like an extra knock sensor not sure what else though.

Where is he getting an extra Knock sensor? There is only one on TBI engines.

6Wheeler

Reaction score
I have a question. 1999 chevy Silverado, 1500 extended cab ls model. 2 days ago r & r the valve cover gaskets. ever since then I notice a pinging sound when driving down the road. back in the day when you had a metal shroud and metal fan fins. the shroud or fins wound become loose, so you would tighten down the shroud or fins. this is the same sound I'm hearing, ( pinging ). I had a friend put the truck up on the lift and check everywhere, nothing. no sound while in neutral, I press on the pedal nothing. I can put the truck and put foot on the brake and give it a little gas and the pinging starts. It sounds as it were coming from the bell housing, check that, nothing. I thought maybe a screw maybe had fallen in between the exhaust guard and the engine, nothing. now it's not a constant ping I can be cruising and give it some gas and then you hear it for that split second or two, then nothing? ) only when the engine is engage, not neutral or park. ) Thanks... The Engine is nice and strong, no lose of compression, no missing. so nothing was dropped on the top side of the block while uncovered.

Last edited:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe something hitting a heat shield. Look at the ones on the catalytic converters and also above the transmission along the firewall where the exhaust pipes pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6Wheeler

Reaction score
Maybe something hitting a heat shield. Look at the ones on the catalytic converters and also above the transmission along the firewall where the exhaust pipes pass. truck is being used right now, plan on getting under there again later today. when the engine cools off a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah I've done that, even on the top side of transmission.