The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stupid engine questions:
What is the best way to remove the front crank seal from my front cover?
It's stuck on there good :(
454 vortec engine

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm assuming the cover is off the motor? In which case a swift blow with a hammer and screwdriver will pop it right out.

Blue Turd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stupid engine questions:
What is the best way to remove the front crank seal from my front cover?
It's stuck on there good :(
454 vortec engine

On my small block the cover is so cheap to replace I just got a nice chrome one with a pre-installed seal for like 20 bucks. Otherwise it should easily come out with a punch.

beardeddummy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it Possible to bypass factory ignition on 96-98 vortec 5.7 with cd box and be able to make timing adjustmentset like Tbi and older. I'm already hooked with blackbear

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Then Blackbear has already done just that for you and achieved far more than a mere twist of a distributor could ever achieve.

beardeddummy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying but that wasn't the question I asked. I'm not looking for more I'm just tired of changing distributor cap every 2-3 months

1low4door

Reaction score
My truck will only start with the #3 cylinder spark plug wire unplugged but will only crank and not start with it plugged up. Any idea what this could
Be? Almost every sensor is new. New coil,distributor, and wires. The ignition switch also won't work. Have to cross over the starter to crank it.

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Installed aftermarket temp gauge on its own temp sensor. my factory gauge only gots to 140 so i figured the sending unit was bad, bought a temp gauge installed it on its own sensor in the upper radiator hose with a adapter.it wouldn't raise about 180. even upping rpms didn't get it above 190. is this a sign of stuck open thermostat? im not losing coolant or buring it, i have real nice heat. jsut wondering if the truck is using so much fuel because it never reaches temp and what would cause that

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Installed aftermarket temp gauge on its own temp sensor. my factory gauge only gots to 140 so i figured the sending unit was bad, bought a temp gauge installed it on its own sensor in the upper radiator hose with a adapter.it wouldn't raise about 180. even upping rpms didn't get it above 190. is this a sign of stuck open thermostat? im not losing coolant or buring it, i have real nice heat. jsut wondering if the truck is using so much fuel because it never reaches temp and what would cause that

Could it be your thermostat? You didn't mention what year or engine for your vehicle but the post-1996 engines should be running a 195* I have had parts stores try to sell me 160*'s or even 180*'s (I personally don't buy the failsafe type but who knows). To me this is a yearly tune up item.
It's also possible that your aftermarket unit simply isn't accurate or maybe the location of that sensor reads lower than the standard unit. At any rate you should try replacing the stock temp sensor because it is also used by the computer. Not terribly expensive and not hard to change. Just don't overtorque it like I did and crack your lower intake.