The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Encoreman

Reaction score
Hi I have a 93 Z-71 stepside with 260K on 5.7. I just bought and installed a 95 5.7 out of a clean 135K truck. I have run into a few differences like the 95 water pump had barb for heater hose. My question is concerning the computer, will I need to do anything because of the OBD 1 and OBD 1.5 differences? Please keep responses simple as I am not a computer geek. Thanks for any input, plan on firing the engine tomorrow. Mac

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The one in the driver's side head goes to the gauge. The one by the thermostat goes to the computer.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
The gauge sensor is a 1 wire, and the computer sensor is a 2 wire. Most parts stores for some reason always try and sell you the 2 wire one regardless of which you ask for FYI

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Hi I have a 93 Z-71 stepside with 260K on 5.7. I just bought and installed a 95 5.7 out of a clean 135K truck. I have run into a few differences like the 95 water pump had barb for heater hose. My question is concerning the computer, will I need to do anything because of the OBD 1 and OBD 1.5 differences? Please keep responses simple as I am not a computer geek. Thanks for any input, plan on firing the engine tomorrow. Mac
Not really sure what you are referring to as OBD 1.5, but as long as the engine from the 95 you put in is TBI and everything plugs in, shouldn't be a problem.

JakeZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Help!! I have a '98 k1500 Z71 with the 5.7l motor. I just swapped in a 5.7l out of a '99 classic that was identical in appearance to my Z71. I got it all put back tgether, and now it wont start. The solenoid won't engage. You turn the key, the dash lights up, and nothing else happens. What am i missing?! Thanks