The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
1992 Chevy Silverado. I posted an exhaust question a few weeks back. When i start up my truck when warm, smoke with blue tint comes out of the exhaust. Pretty significantly. Previous owner said it had a rebuilt motor. I come to think that was not the case. I was told that blue smoke can only be that the truck is burning oil. Linked below is a video of me starting the truck and the smoke pouring out. Now my question is: Is there any additive that i can use to stop or minimize the smoking? I currently dont have the funds to fix this. Ive researched online that to fix an engine that burns oil require taking it apart and replacing piston rings and valve seals.

Link to video:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

That's pretty significant. Looks like valve seals. There are different treatments out there, Lucas, ATP, etc. None has ever worked for me. I would save all the money you'll spend on engine rebuilds in a can towards another engine.

I have a coolant leak on my 93 k1500 5.7. I can see drops coming from around the starter area.. Won't have time to look dealer til the weekend.. Any thoughts as to where it can be coming from?

Heat hose, or bulkhead fitting?

Stokes1114

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's pretty significant. Looks like valve seals. There are different treatments out there, Lucas, ATP, etc. None has ever worked for me. I would save all the money you'll spend on engine rebuilds in a can towards another engine.

Is that what I should be looking at?

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
1992 Chevy Silverado. I posted an exhaust question a few weeks back. When i start up my truck when warm, smoke with blue tint comes out of the exhaust. Pretty significantly. Previous owner said it had a rebuilt motor. I come to think that was not the case. I was told that blue smoke can only be that the truck is burning oil. Linked below is a video of me starting the truck and the smoke pouring out. Now my question is: Is there any additive that i can use to stop or minimize the smoking? I currently dont have the funds to fix this. Ive researched online that to fix an engine that burns oil require taking it apart and replacing piston rings and valve seals.

Link to video:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
You could try an additive like Lucasoil but I doubt it would have much of an effect, may help, but won't fix. At least your cylinder walls are well lubed! :uhoh2:

Diego0123005

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

There is also some smoke when i accelerate from a standstill. Does that indicate piston rings?

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
There is also some smoke when i accelerate from a standstill. Does that indicate piston rings?

It's hard to say one way or the other. A leakdown test can help, but the fact is, the ring's are just as worn as the seals. Keep an eye on the oil level and save up for a new engine.

joshsb

Reaction score
OBD1 error codes: I'm getting 3 quick flashes and one long flash. Is this an error code 13?

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Does it repeat three times? If so it's a 31 code.Hmmmm...my Haynes doesn't list a 31,hopefully there's a better list somewhere.I'll check ALLDATAdiy.

per ALLDATAdiy: 31 Driver Loop Energy Reserve Feed Open

Don't know what that is but I found it listed under the SIR codes.

Last edited:

joshsb

Reaction score
Does it repeat three times? If so it's a 31 code.Hmmmm...my Haynes doesn't list a 31,hopefully there's a better list somewhere.I'll check ALLDATAdiy.

per ALLDATAdiy: 31 Driver Loop Energy Reserve Feed Open

Don't know what that is but I found it listed under the SIR codes.

It continuously loops - flash flash flash flaaaaaaaash flash flash flash flaaaaaaash, etc.