The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stupid question: While checking up on the coolant leak out of my intake manifold, I noticed I have a missing hose at the back of my water pump.
It's a 454 vortec.
Where does the hose go and how important is it?
Any idea why someone would want to block it off?
You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks for any help!

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I've found the answer in this video:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That line is not intended for use in our vortec 454 engines and should be capped.
Whew, I thought I had an issue!

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One more stupid question: I have a tick when I first start my truck, but goes away after a few minutes of warming up. I've read it's a common thing in 454 vortec engines, but I've read conflicting stories of what it could be.

What is the best way/your way of diagnosing cold engine tick?

I'd like to narrow down exactly what it is so I might fix it while I replace the intake manifold gaskets.
Sorry I don't have much experience when it comes to piston or lifter troubleshooting.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
One more stupid question: I have a tick when I first start my truck, but goes away after a few minutes of warming up. I've read it's a common thing in 454 vortec engines, but I've read conflicting stories of what it could be.

What is the best way/your way of diagnosing cold engine tick?

I'd like to narrow down exactly what it is so I might fix it while I replace the intake manifold gaskets.
Sorry I don't have much experience when it comes to piston or lifter troubleshooting.
stuff rags in your exhaust and start it, crawl under and listen for noise

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
stuff rags in your exhaust and start it, crawl under and listen for noise
Good call, thanks!
I found an exhaust leak on the passenger side where the manifold bolts to the y pipe.
Do you think this sounds like exhaust?
Looks like it won't be fun to unbolt these and either replace the gasket or put in new shorty headers.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
From the video, the tick does not sound like exhaust. if you feel exhaust coming from the donut gasket then it would be still good to change it. Not totally sure on the setup, but I think the studs are screwed into the manifolds, so if you can, heat up the nuts before loosening them up

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dang, I guess I'll just have to dive in and hopefully something will stick out as an obvious cause.
I plan to have it apart to replace the intake manifold gaskets, I may go as far as replace the cam and lifters.

Thanks for the help, plugging the exhaust worked great for finding the leak.
I wonder if the same trick will help me nail down some back pain.
:anitoof:

Reaction score
Looking to yank my engine out to do a full paint job on my truck. Is there an aggressive way to do this that can avoid me most headaches? Is it possible to remove my cab entirely while the engine is still in tact?

Diego0123005

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1992 Chevy Silverado. I posted an exhaust question a few weeks back. When i start up my truck when warm, smoke with blue tint comes out of the exhaust. Pretty significantly. Previous owner said it had a rebuilt motor. I come to think that was not the case. I was told that blue smoke can only be that the truck is burning oil. Linked below is a video of me starting the truck and the smoke pouring out. Now my question is: Is there any additive that i can use to stop or minimize the smoking? I currently dont have the funds to fix this. Ive researched online that to fix an engine that burns oil require taking it apart and replacing piston rings and valve seals.

Link to video:

Stokes1114

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a coolant leak on my 93 k1500 5.7. I can see drops coming from around the starter area.. Won't have time to look dealer til the weekend.. Any thoughts as to where it can be coming from?