The Stupid Electronics Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fleischmann95

Reaction score
alright, i just bought some OEM chevy marker lamps from lmc truck, this sound really stupid but i dont know where to start, how do i install them, i know its gona be drilling and such, and where do i run the wireing?

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
alright, i just bought some OEM chevy marker lamps from lmc truck, this sound really stupid but i dont know where to start, how do i install them, i know its gona be drilling and such, and where do i run the wireing?

Are you reffering to a cab light (5 lights that mount ontop of the cab) as a marker light? If so installation is pretty straight forward, I've installed quite a few sets on customers trucks. Even have done a few GMT400's
First you're going to want to start by making a template of the light and the hole(s) for the light to aid in drilling and mounting.

2. Take a roll of masking tape and run a piece accross the entire roof, keeping the same distance from the edge of the windshield to the forward faceing edge of the masking tape the entire way accross (This step is VERY important!)

3. Next you're going to have to figure out which configuration you want (eg. evenly spaced, or 3 in the center and 2 on the outer, etc) Measure the distance across the roof and lay a piece of masking tape forward and aft accross the point where each light will be mounted. Be sure to keep the tape centered on the point that your going to drill.

4. After all measuring is done and re checked, set the lights up there just to eye ball them and make sure they are place right. Then proceed to drill the holes using the template you made.

5. After all holes are drilled, run the wire through the hole and drop the front edge of your headliner down to access the wires. Proceed to fasten the lights to the cab roof and ensure that you have a good seal. It doesn't hurt to put a shot of silicone or WU in the holes to create a good seal.

6. Take a piece of long wire (aprox. 12-13' to start with) and connect each pig tail from the marker light to the piece of lead wire. (Start on the passenger side!) I would reccomend soldering each joint, but you can use T-Taps or scotchlocks if you would rather.

7. After all cab light pigtails are connected to the lead, tuck the lead under the headliner and push the headliner back onto it's velcro tabs. Run the lead down the drivers side A-Pillar and through the speaker cover opening to under neath the dash.

8. Easiest route for finding the parking light wire is to pull of the guage cluster bezel and find which wire is hot of the headlight switch when the parking lights are on AND when the headlights are on, and off when the switch is off. This wire should be brown if i recall correctly. Connect your lead to this wire.

9. Re-install the dash bezel and ensure that the cab lights are on when the parking lights are and off when the switch is off. Re-check your work and you should be done!
Hope that helps you out man! Sorry if i missed something, but that should be about all that is required!

jgreen-fsi

Reaction score
Do the headlight switches in 95-99 trucks illuminate at night with the lights on? Do I have some burned out bulbs?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Remove the front pillar post plastic covers, by just pulling them. Do it carefully so you don't break the clips. If they stay (the clips) in the body, you can pull 'em out, carefully so as not to bend 'em, then re-install back in the plastic pieces. Do the same with your 1/4 windows. Remove the roof light.
The front is held in by heavy duty velcro. A putty knife with the sharp edges ground off can be used to get between the two sides of the velcro. Sometimes the velcro will come off the headliner, or the roof metal. It can be re-glued back on, but as these headliners are made of a compressed fiber, damage can occur to the H/L when this happens. Finesse & patience is required in order to do this. Don't be in a hurry, or be 'Ham-******'.
The rear plastic overhead piece doesn't have to be removed, but just loosened off, by releasing the clips in the ceiling. Again, use your putty knife here. The rear corner upright covers do not have to be removed either, just loosened off by popping the clips with the putty knife. If you can't get to the clips with the putty knife, a long flat screwdriver can be used too. Just be careful.
The middle ('B') pillar covers do not have to be removed either. Just pop the clips like the others, but leave the bottom one or two in.
The reason that you're not removing these pieces is so that they can be used to hold the H/L up while you do the light installation.
Now that everything is loose, you should be able to slide the H/L back enough to get access to the inner roof, using the back & 'B' pillar plastic covers to hold the H/L up. You should be able to slide it back about 6" or so.
If you find that it wants to fall down in the middle, you can use some 2x4's nailed into a 'T' to hold it up, between the seats. DON'T wedge it in really hard, as this will make permanent marks in the H/L.
Try not to bend the H/L, as this will create wrinkles in the fiber of the H/L & they will transfer to the the fabric. The usual spot for this to happen is along the front of the H/L, above the mirror.
Remove the visors, &/or any handles in the H/L.
Installation is just the reverse.
If I've just confused you more, or you run into any probs, let me know, & I'll try to help.
Take your time, have patience. Get out & shake your arms now & then, as all the blood will be running out of them from working with them over your head. A re & re on a H/L on these trucks takes me about an hour & a half. Figure twice that, if you've never done one.
I can't stress the importance of having patience enough.
Have fun & good luck.

Last edited:

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
Figured this is perfect for the stupid question thread,

How do Turn off the daytime Running lights, I live in sunny California (taxifornia), its unecessary.

capricefrk013

Toy Hauler
Reaction score
Ive got a question ,my a/c in 98 ecsb works great........but only on high , full blast , freeze me out of there setting .Which I hate to say for the sake of sounding sacrilegious (A/C can never work too good right ? ) But after awhile the noise of the motor gets very old. If I turn it too any other fan speed it shuts off, So far ive replaced

HVAC controls (new a/c delco part)
Resistor and pig tail
Blower Motor relay

anyone else run into this? and if so what was your next step?

I have a similiar problem, but have yet had time to dig into it to figure out what the problem is. My blower motor will not run on the high/meduim setting, but will run at all other settings as it is supposed to (high, meduim/low, low). Once i diagnose the problem I'll be sure to let ya know what the culprit was!

Blower motor resistor. I have already replaced mine twice.