Electronic Fan Clutch Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am reserving this thread for a writeup on the PWM controlled Trailblazer electronic fan clutch swap. I will be adding information on how to wire it and control it in the near future. The P59 controls a solid state relay that sends a PWM signal to the clutch. The clutch has a RPM feedback signal to the PCM. The PCM has limits set for the RPM of the fan as well as has the ability to soften the fan engagement at WOT if the coolant temperature is under a specified value.

If you need a clutch fan on your hard working truck it is an interesting way to make the fan clutch act in a repeatable, consistent manner. I added a 3 wire ac pressure transducer to my van years ago when I had electric fans. The PCM refrences both coolant temperature and ac pressure to provide a programmed PWM output to the clutch, controlling the fan rpm thus lowering noise and power consumption when the fan is not needed as much.

At WOT the PWM signal is reduced to a minimum (IIRC it is about 15% on) if the engine and transmission are at normal operating temperature, avoiding the massive power loss of a fully engaged clutch fan in hot weather. The PCM has a paramter to set for the pulley ratio of the fan drive. On my van it is 33% underdriven and the fan turns 66% of the crank rpm if the clutch were fully locked. At 6,000 rpm (fuel kill) the fan has a maximum RPM potential of 3,960 rpm if the clutch were seized. I have it programmed to run 3,200 rpm max and I have it programmed for 350 rpm minimum. I find the fan rarely needs more than about 30-40% of full engagement which means the fan rarely turns more than 2,000 rpm.

Prior to wiring up and enabling the PWM control and RPM feedback loop, I had a 16" electric fan mounted to the back of the radiator in front of the clutch fan inside the shroud. The P59 triggered the electric fan on Fan1 output. Fan2 output triggered a simple relay and fed power to the control circuit on the fan clutch. The electric clutch thus had 2 modes, a slower freewheeling mode similar to a non-engaged thermal clutch fan and a fully engaged mode. The PWM clutch is quick to fully engage, but slower to return to a freewheel state when it is controlled by a simple OFF/ON method. In the Clutch Freewheel / Fan 1 Electric / Fan 2 Clutch Engaged progressive engagement method the engine and ac were able to operate well on all but the most grueling days without the clutch fan fully engaging.

That being said even that arrangement had its benifit of less frequent fan engagement, less power lost, better ac cooling immediately after startup with a heat soaked interior, etc. Where the condenser heat is not enough to engage a standard clutch when the ac is struggling to cool a 140F cabin, the PCM controlled clutch will engage and pull air over the condenser due to the elevated ac head pressure.

I will post part numbers, a wiring diagram, fan settings from the P59, and a couple of pictures when I slow down long enough to gather them all in one place.

Here is the setup fully functioning this evening when I was topping off the ac. I had the idle locked at 1,500 rpm using HP Tuners Scanner program. It was 109°F ambient, engine was holding ~200°F and the ac was cooling 36°F out of the vents up front and about 40°F out of the rear vents after I added refrigerant to the system with the fan holding about 30% duty cycle. With the engine compartment heat soaked it rose to about 44°F out of the vents at normal idle speed and the coolant creeped up toward 210°F and the fan engagement rose to about 45% duty cycle. At that point both the ac vent temps and coolant temps stabilized and maintained those readings.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had to add 1 can of refrigerant to the 97 van after a year. I rebuilt the ac system with a new genuine Sanden 4261 SD7H15 compressor, microtube parallel flow condenser, variable orifice tube and new manifold hose last year. I flushed the rest of the system. Not bad for an old conversion van with dual evaporators, miles of aftermarket ac hose and tons of connections to leak. Blowing 44°F at idle and 36°F with the engine turning 1,500 rpm. Rear unit was at about 40°F. Both blowers on High fan speed. Felt like a refrigerator in the van after 30 minutes of running. Air coming in across the condenser is 109°F by the temperature probe and the ambient humidity is about 45%. AC head pressure at idle is nice and low, barely over 200 psi. The 1993-1995 454 G30 replacement dual core radiator I put in the van this spring is doing its job as well. 383 barely nudges 200°F after it ran for more than 30 minutes sitting stationary while charging the ac.

You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ironically I may have found my leak as well, when I pulled the manifold set off, I noticed the stupid replacement high side service port with the dumb nylon ball seems to be deformed and seeping again. I replaced that garbage designed part when I rebuilt the system only a year ago. I will replace it with a Dorman replacement that has an actual schrader valve core that I recently discovered was available when I have the front end off for the cam swap.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Overnight it cooled down to 85°F this morning and the humidity is now at 52%. Cooling at 40°F at idle this morning. The fan clutch practically had the fan freewheeling this morning because the airflow needed to cool the ac and engine was very low.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
108F, towing a 6,000# trailer, 15 mph head wind. I may lay off a little on the PWM rise. It really cranked up the fan clutch PWM signal to hold it at ~200°F. Might be able to slow that rise a bit to 210°F. The clutch was engaged enough to hear the fan even loafing along in overdrive for most of the trip today. This is the kind of driving conditions that the electrics just cannot handle for me. It sounds like the engine is screaming, but it is only at ~3,000 rpm after the downshift but the clutch fan is howling.

Last edited:

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ironically I may have found my leak as well, when I pulled the manifold set off, I noticed the stupid replacement high side service port with the dumb nylon ball seems to be deformed and seeping again. I replaced that garbage designed part when I rebuilt the system only a year ago. I will replace it with a Dorman replacement that has an actual schrader valve core that I recently discovered was available when I have the front end off for the cam swap.

replaced a compressor in a friends 97 gmt400 about a month ago. when I took gauges off to charge there was a slight leak. dicking with the stupid valve it ended up not seating at all and drained out all the refrigerant in a few minutes. got the Dorman replacement as well good thing we were just using keyboard duster

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
replaced a compressor in a friends 97 gmt400 about a month ago. when I took gauges off to charge there was a slight leak. dicking with the stupid valve it ended up not seating at all and drained out all the refrigerant in a few minutes. got the Dorman replacement as well good thing we were just using keyboard duster

I have a recovery tank dedicated for it though. I have a recovery pump anyway and a tank and filter were a cheap investment to be able to save the refrigerant given the capacities of the systems I have.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What was your final verdict on the pwm fan?

I was wondering if the trailblazer clutch could be operated in a straight on/off manor with a relay on the 0411 fan output.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What was your final verdict on the pwm fan?

I was wondering if the trailblazer clutch could be operated in a straight on/off manor with a relay on the 0411 fan output.

PWM fan is awesome. It absolutely can be controlled in a simple on/off manner. Just a bit slower to respond to being switched on and off, a good bit noisier and robs a bit more power when it needs to be fully engaged, which is likely not very often. Probably takes 10-15 seconds to ramp up to full speed and 30-45 seconds to release. If you have the a/c pressure sensor wired up it is nice that the fan clutch engages fully in that setup when the ac pressure is high on an initial startup. It boosts airflow across the condenser when the a/c is working its hardest with a heat soaked interior.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What settings control the PWM output?
And are you using EV Fan setting?