The Stupid Electronics Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xredge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
94 GMC K2500HD 5.7 Just want to confirm where the battery ground should be, one ground goes to fender like it should, but the other ground is going to the intake, is this correct? Bought it like this and seems like I have off and on grounding issues, and all of the motors I have worked on the past usually go to the block not a factory aluminum intake, figuring this might be one of my problems. Also probably going to rewire my towing harness all the way back as I had issues last year when connected to the Travel Trailer that I would lose the lights on the drivers side and at times when this happened would have no trailer brakes, and have already repalced the brake switched which helped some still the gremlin would come up once in a while.

lowreese26

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I turn my turn signal on to make a right turn. It makes that click when I turn right and turns the turn signal off. When I turn left. No click. It doesnt cancel the blinker. What do I need to change to cancel the left turn signal when I turn left? The turn signal lever? Or is there something in the steering column?

Soumds like your signal switch. I think it should be the whole lever.

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone know what causes your gauge lights/ headlights to pulse.. like with rotation of motor?? or they kinda flicker maybe.. haha If I was to take a guess it would be from a voltage regulator.. and someone told me that it was built into the alternator.. Anyone know what I am talking about?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it is built into the alternator. My truck was doing the same but only at idle so I wasn't worried about it but when it started doing it going down the freeway at 70+mph I changed the alt. the next day (I drive 100 Miles round trip for work so I didn't want to get stranded)

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think it only does it at idle.. You can rev it up and it will quit. I have a 4.3 s10 alternator laying around.. wonder if they are the same.. I will look on autozone! lol

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just so happens the part numbers are the same! haha maybe I will throw it on the truck and see if the lights still flicker..

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Ok this may seem like a redundant question but does anyone know which fuses on the fuse panel are live only when the key is on? By that i mean they only have 12v power when the key is on. Mostly need to know this so i can install the temp/compass mirror im getting from Bluex. I know the 4wd fuse is one such circuit but its already double tapped for both my Lift pump wiring and glow plug manual control. This is another reason i would like to know which ones are "hot" when key is on. So i can move either my lift pump wire or my glow plug control to a different circuit. Eventual plan is to buy a painless wiring aux fuse box to move both of these to. But i prob wont get to that for awhile yet. Also does anyone know what plugs do what on the accessory panel on the fire wall? I think thats the right name for it..its a panel with a bunch of male plugs on it and different wire codes molded into the plastic. Im guessing this is for adding stuff like the factory fog light harness and other add on wiring. Diagrams of both would be great if anyone has them!

The truck in question is my 1994 GMC Sierra K1500

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
^^You can use a multimeter or testlight to find that out. Turn the key off then probe to find ones that are on and write them down because you don't want those ones. Then turn the key turn and probe for ones that are on.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
^^You can use a multimeter or testlight to find that out. Turn the key off then probe to find ones that are on and write them down because you don't want those ones. Then turn the key turn and probe for ones that are on.

Hmmm guess i better pick up a multimeter then, I do have a couple testlights i can use in the meantime though. Was mostly asking for help on this since i dont have a multimeter yet lol