Tie rod ball joint question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Quick question regarding outer ball joint on tie rod on my 1999 C2500 Suburban. Zero play in any direction except what I'd call axial ie, in the direction of the threaded part/shank towards the retaining nut - like plunge. Is this normal?

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
up and down movement, no its bad

Twisty / spinney movement, yes it normal. Most have a hex or torx on top to keep them from spinning until it seats in the hub
Thanks.
Pretty much what I figured but seeing as GMT400s have odd quirks that I've not encountered elsewhere (eg, lateral play on a rear wheel where I'd expect none), thought I should ask!
Parts are ordered and will be fitted as soon as they arrive.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hope it's ok to jump in. I was wondering why my passenger side tie rods have more movement from stop to stop in a certain direction than the driver's side. There is no up/down plunger type slop but it's confusing as to why there's a difference in the way they feel?
Here's a video of what I'm trying to describe. Anyone have any idea? Is it normal?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hope it's ok to jump in. I was wondering why my passenger side tie rods have more movement from stop to stop in a certain direction than the driver's side. There is no up/down plunger type slop but it's confusing as to why there's a difference in the way they feel?
Here's a video of what I'm trying to describe. Anyone have any idea? Is it normal?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I can't answer your question, only add that the 'plunge' I found was worse (much worse) on the passenger side.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The tie rods don't always wear the same but if replace 1, you should do both and align. Check wheel bearing play, the inner tie rods play, the upper and lower ball joints play, control arm bushings play and condition, idler and pitman arm play, shocks condition and for leaks and mount bushings condition, same with rear shocks and rear suspension condition and steering shaft condition and play.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't answer your question, only add that the 'plunge' I found was worse (much worse) on the passenger side.
Keep in mind that the passenger side rides on a much rougher section of road than the drivers so you can expect anything on that side to wear out sooner. It's the passenger side that rides on the edge of the tar-seal where it meets the gravel etc.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering why my passenger side tie rods have more movement from stop to stop in a certain direction than the driver's side.
You're seeing the rotational motion allowed by TWO tie rod ends, connected in the middle by an adjustment sleeve.

If one tie rod end is all the way twisted to the "right" and the other is all the way twisted to the "left", then the tie rod sleeve is tightened so the assembly becomes rigid...you'll have no rotational movement at all.

If both tie rod ends are twisted all the way "right"; or if both are all the way "left", or both are centered before the tie-rod sleeve is tightened--so that the tie rod ends are at the same point in their rotational travel--you'll have maximum rotation.

If the tie rod ends are somewhere in-between, you'll have restricted rotational movement, because one will max-out one direction, and the other will max-out the other way.

But nobody teaches that at "alignment school".

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But nobody teaches that at "alignment school".
Does this mean it should be set up for minimal movement? I just had an alignment 5 days ago... unfortunately I decided to mess with my ride height after and actually had to turn my adjuster sleeve on one side because they had the clamp bolts hitting my sway bar. Don't think I moved anything but the clamp though...

I'm planning to get another one from a different shop ...