The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I don't think I'll ever have one wheel off the ground I'm a pansy I guess.

I really don't like the selectable lockers. if I have to stop and lock the locker I might as well just put it in 4wd. I do very light offroading(gravel roads, light mud, and anything I come across on my to my hunting or fishing spot.

A Trutrrac is all you'll even need then.

SteamDonkey

Reaction score
Quick question guys and gals. One of my CVs is able to be shaken back and forth when I'm under the truck. Also pulls to that direction when turning that way (left), almost as if 4x4 is engaged, but it isn't. I'm assuming that axle is bad and have picked up a new one from NAPA. Should I replace the other side at the same time? Or wait until it fails? Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Project400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What's different between square body 9.5 14bolt and the version from the 400 trucks

I'm wanting to find a 4.10 SF 14 bolt.

Shebrolet

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry if this has been asked/answered.. I didnt feed back through all 50+ pages.

is there any way to "easily" change from a stock 5 lug set up to 6 or 8 on my 2wd 98? Any benefits aside from additional wheel options? ANy downsides? Just curious for future wheel choices.

92_Bahama

Reaction score
I'm looking to change my front and rear diff fluid along with a rear axle seal this weekend. The front requires 80w-90 and I'm putting 85-140 in the rear. I need to find some GL-5 rated dino oil with no limited slip additive and I am running out of options. Would like to rear what kind of differential fluid you guys on here are running.

Tonyorlo

Reaction score
I dug through the tread and I didn't see anything, sorry if it's been posted.

I have a 89 k2500 that needs the rear end changed. The truck has 3.73s.

I have a donor Suburban, it's roughly a mid 90s 2500 4x4. It has 4.10s, so I will need to change both front and rear differentials.

Will the rear end bolt up to my k2500, or will I need to move the perches?

Can I use the CV axles from the suburban under the k2500? What about the hubs?

dylan5299

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got an 8 lug 14 bolt with the 9.5 inch ring geasr and i was wanting to know if the full floater axle will swap without issues. thanks