The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

notlowenuf

Reaction score
Is there any way to find out the rear end ratio. the sticker in the glove box is very faded and basically unreadable. Is there another sticker on the truck or is there anyway I can find out with just the VIN?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is there any way to find out the rear end ratio. the sticker in the glove box is very faded and basically unreadable. Is there another sticker on the truck or is there anyway I can find out with just the VIN?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could do a VIN lookup on CompNine.

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php

Costs $5 and you get to do the lookup on 5 VINs for that price, it's worth every penny. It'll give you every RPO code and a detailed breakdown of what they all mean, plus tell you how many trucks from that model year were equipped with each option.

Project400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe specific to generation, but they're certainly the same (and interchangeable) in GMT400 era

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

NO They aren't.
Not only is that information available online from doing some searching but I've been there done that personally.

In fact I currently have 2" spacers on the rear of my truck because I have a 2wd 9.5" 14bolt in it.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Stupid axle question...

Are the '90-93 454SS/Sport truck rear ends the ONLY 2WD 14 bolts that were available in half ton (C1500) frames? The reason I ask is I'm looking for a 2WD 14 bolt that will take the five lug axles and drums, and I want to make sure I'm not accidentally buying an axle assembly from some weird alien factory six lug C1500 that won't work for me.

To clarify...

If I do a lookup on Car-Part.com and look for 2WD 14 bolts from a '91 half ton, everything that pops up should be a five lug setup, right?

EppNation

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO They aren't.
Not only is that information available online from doing some searching but I've been there done that personally.

In fact I currently have 2" spacers on the rear of my truck because I have a 2wd 9.5" 14bolt in it.
So you're saying your truck is un-driveable w/o the 2" spacers??

That's how every GMT400 rolled out the factory... With a 4" total difference in axle width front to rear. Yes you will get improved handling characteristics with the spacers (making for matching widths) but that certainly doesn't rule out 'compatibility'.

Project400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you're saying your truck is un-driveable w/o the 2" spacers??

That's how every GMT400 rolled out the factory... With a 4" total difference in axle width front to rear. Yes you will get improved handling characteristics with the spacers (making for matching widths) but that certainly doesn't rule out 'compatibility'.

Yes without the 2" spacers on the 2wd axle the stock aluminum wheels and 265's will not bolt up because they would hit the leaf springs

Project400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
8 lug 9.5" 14's are around 4" narrower on a 2wd
If someone mounted this axle on an 8 lug 4x4 it would be close to 6" narrower than the front track