The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aaronb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got an 8 lug 14 bolt with the 9.5 inch ring geasr and i was wanting to know if the full floater axle will swap without issues. thanks
As long as it's out of a gmt400, it will swap no problem. If it's not, you will have to move spring perches and possibly shock mounts.

EppNation

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aiming for matching axle widths and factory disc brakes with a rear axle swap from a GMT800 14bff. I know spring perches and shock mounts will need to be relocated, but that's all I have been able to determine is necessary from an installation standpoint.

Would it be of any deficit/benefit to use one with 11.5" ring gear (found on 2500HD 3/4 ton and I think the 3500 SRW 1 ton) vs the 10.5"??

I've already let one slip through my hands, but didn't want to buy it without knowing that it was going to be compatible.

Thanks!

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Aiming for matching axle widths and factory disc brakes with a rear axle swap from a GMT800 14bff. I know spring perches and shock mounts will need to be relocated, but that's all I have been able to determine is necessary from an installation standpoint.

Would it be of any deficit/benefit to use one with 11.5" ring gear (found on 2500HD 3/4 ton and I think the 3500 SRW 1 ton) vs the 10.5"??

I've already let one slip through my hands, but didn't want to buy it without knowing that it was going to be compatible.

Thanks!

I'm fuzzy on the exact details but it seems that the 11.5 ring gear uses a larger u joint. The 6.0 2500 and up 10.5's seem to use the same one as the 14bolt ff. I know you can find a "conversion" joint to make that work in most or all gmt400s. I'm pondering the swap in my k2500 Burb for the rear discs.

EppNation

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So it's either a new yoke to go on my new 11.5 to accept 1350 U joints, or a conversion joint to mate a yoke intended for 1410 joints and a drive shaft intended for 1350's?

And I understanding correctly?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Fedeleon11

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, recently I have been riding my 88 k1500 more in off road the weekends, and all the week is my daily driver, I have 33" with the stock Gearing (think it is 3.73 in a 10 bolt), and I want to change to 4.56, What do you think? It will be ok for the daily Drive? I Drive in high way sometimes too, thanks!

Also want to know if there is a rear disc brake conversion kit for the 10 bolt too

EppNation

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are the 4x4 8 lug and 2x4 8 lug rearends the same length or different like the 1/2 tons?

The rear axles are the same between 4x4 and 4x2, what's different on the rear is the driveshaft. It's shorter cause of transfer case

Tiny Trucker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Driveshaft question (couldn't find a specific thread sorry). My center support bearing rubber has a lot of play, like there is a spacer missing out of the cage. I can grab the driveshaft and lift it up and down and the whole rubber moves up and down inside it like there is something on the bottom of it missing. Also how do I figure what UJ's I have? Sorry am new to this.

93 c1500 rwd 4l60e and g80.

Cheers