The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

white_trash88

Im too drunk to taste that chicken
Reaction score
Thanks man hopfully i dont come across any dead hookers lmao is that a half way decent reliable axel or would it be smarter to go yo something diffrent
You could try to ring a 14 bolt sf out of a 454ss and have 4.10s but that would be like finding a needle in a haystack. You'd could also have a 6 lug 14 bolt sf redrilled to 5 lug or even 6 lug swap. Otherwise you're stuck with a 10 bolt

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
You could try to ring a 14 bolt sf out of a 454ss and have 4.10s but that would be like finding a needle in a haystack. You'd could also have a 6 lug 14 bolt sf redrilled to 5 lug or even 6 lug swap. Otherwise you're stuck with a 10 bolt

Which is what I meant when I said readily available lol.

The simple thing to do is go to the pull it yard on half off day, get one like you have, and switcheroo

Destroyer123

Reaction score
Ok i went to junk yard got a new axel and swapped it now i am trying to bleed my breaks and can not get anything out of them i checked all my lines on the axel and even changed them with the better of the two any ideas why thid could be happening?

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
How much metal filings is normal in an old differential?

I have a 99 Suburban (OBS) with a 3.43 G80, and swapped the gear oil a couple weeks ago. Oil looked very good, fairly clean, definitely not black. I have no idea how long it was in there, I bought the truck last year.

There were NO metal chunks. The ring gear looked fine to my eye, and I do have some idea what to look for on a gear (uneven wear, blunted edges, discoloration in odd places). Everything looked OK.

Anyhow, the magnet in the differential had more "silver goop" on it that I expected. Had probably a couple tablespoons worth of very fine metal filings on it.

I should have snapped a pic of it, but didn't worry since it was not chunks.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
How much metal filings is normal in an old differential?

I have a 99 Suburban (OBS) with a 3.43 G80, and swapped the gear oil a couple weeks ago. Oil looked very good, fairly clean, definitely not black. I have no idea how long it was in there, I bought the truck last year.

There were NO metal chunks. The ring gear looked fine to my eye, and I do have some idea what to look for on a gear (uneven wear, blunted edges, discoloration in odd places). Everything looked OK.

Anyhow, the magnet in the differential had more "silver goop" on it that I expected. Had probably a couple tablespoons worth of very fine metal filings on it.

I should have snapped a pic of it, but didn't worry since it was not chunks.

That sounds normal.

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
If it has a friction posi than yeah, there will be a metal filing paste on the magnet.

Swapping (specifically speaking GMT400 bodystyle non cab and chassis) a 88-98 axle into a 88-98 is direct except ujoints

Brake lines are plugged (maybe flex hose too? Unplug there and check fluid flow) otherwise your rear circuit is dickered (prop valve is stuck, jump on the brake pedal fast and hard and see see if anything pops and frees up)

And as always Rock beats Scissors

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
If it has a friction posi than yeah, there will be a metal filing paste on the magnet.

Swapping (specifically speaking GMT400 bodystyle non cab and chassis) a 88-98 axle into a 88-98 is direct except ujoints

Brake lines are plugged (maybe flex hose too? Unplug there and check fluid flow) otherwise your rear circuit is dickered (prop valve is stuck, jump on the brake pedal fast and hard and see see if anything pops and frees up)

And as always Rock beats Scissors
Not quite 4x4 and 2x4 axles are fifferent.