The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone know the size of the factory u bolts for a k1500 with a 10 bolt rear? I installed new u bolts with 2" blocks and am wanting to go back to stock.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

beardeddummy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok laugh at me but I may be the first to use this for a truly stupid question I like the Eaton true trac. will both tires spin like a functional g80? or does it transfer back and forth? where I come from if you floor it and one wheel spins it's a one wheel wonder. if two spun it's a posi. I miss the simplicity of that.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Ok laugh at me but I may be the first to use this for a truly stupid question I like the Eaton true trac. will both tires spin like a functional g80? or does it transfer back and forth? where I come from if you floor it and one wheel spins it's a one wheel wonder. if two spun it's a posi. I miss the simplicity of that.

Nothing on the road transfers back and forth. The Tru Trac is a Posi.

beardeddummy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok cool so pretty much

One wheel wonder equals open diff

Two wheels spinning equals limited slip or posi?

And a locker means you never have to wait for wheel b to catch up with wheel a?

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Ok cool so pretty much

One wheel wonder equals open diff

Two wheels spinning equals limited slip or posi?

And a locker means you never have to wait for wheel b to catch up with wheel a?

More or less.

Limited slips or posi's, have some type of friction material via clutches or worm gears, they never fully "lock", mechanically, solidly attach both axle shafts together. Just like a manual clutch.

Lockers, do mechanically, 100% lock together positively. But unlock to allow turning.

A spool, never does anything but be a bad ass.

beardeddummy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes and spools are cheap and look like they would hold up very good given the lack of moving parts but I bet they suck for a daily driver

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Yes and spools are cheap and look like they would hold up very good given the lack of moving parts but I bet they suck for a daily driver

I've done it, it wasn't much of a problem unless I was trying to park in a tight spot. It did give my axle shaft splines a decided twirl.

I don't think I'd do it with a C-Clip axle that didn't have disc brakes.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The only time a TrueTrac is going to give you traction issues is if one wheel is completely off the ground. In that case all the torque will take the path of least resistance and you won't go anywhere. You can probably get around that limitation by applying some brakes in that situation.

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
Even mini spools require some kind of c-clip elimnator done to most axles.

Don't spool anything smaller than a Ford 9 or GM 14 bolt. And for daily driving thats probably a bad idea still, hopping in corners, accelerated tire wear. Yuck

Grab a TruTrac or a Detroit Locker. Elocker would be better still

beardeddummy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think I'll ever have one wheel off the ground I'm a pansy I guess.

I really don't like the selectable lockers. if I have to stop and lock the locker I might as well just put it in 4wd. I do very light offroading(gravel roads, light mud, and anything I come across on my to my hunting or fishing spot.