TBI upper gaskets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You all worry too much.
You have a nearly-apathetic regard for appropriate "industry standard" procedures, and we've already discussed how you're not good with noticing details. It's one short-cut after another in both your workmanship, and your research. I get it--you don't have an on-site mentor, and you're at a disadvantage due to lack of tools. It's hard to grasp how important "little stuff" is, especially if it's working "now".

WHEN it fails, the internal conductors may be corroded inches--or feet--inside the insulation. The question is "how long before it gets bad enough to interfere with the operation of the TPS".

The purple "S" terminal wire on my '97 was internally corroded from the starter solenoid to behind the bellhousing--inaccessible. I had to replace 3+ feet of wire to get rid of all the green/black conductor; because I had to splice into the harnes above the engine for accessibility. Even the "good" end in this photo is corroded too badly to fix. Had to cut the wire farther back to get to "clean" copper.
You must be registered for see images attach

Crimped, soldered, eventually covered in heat-shrink tubing that has hot-melt adhesive inside, so when the tubing is hot enough to shrink, the hot-melt glue absolutely seals-out moisture, humidity, dirt...everything. Did I take a short-cut? YES. I didn't drive another vehicle to the store to buy purple wire, when I had correct-gauge red wire in my shop supply cabinet already.

The wheel speed sensor wires on my '92 Lumina had torn insulation near the hub, that allowed water/road-splash to corrode it all the way back to the inner fender; I had just barely enough copper to solder to; and although it worked, even that copper was so tarnished that I had problems getting the solder to stick no matter what I used for flux. Took forever to repair that section.

Last edited:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I had to look up his other post to know what you are referring to and thought I should share his picture so future readers know what your talking about...

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had to look up his other post to know what you are referring to and thought I should share his picture so future readers know what your talking about...

Ok so the wire crimps are a size too big. Otherwise, what's wrong with doing it this way?

@Schurkey, it's not a lack of attention to detail, it's a lack of giving a crap (on some things) If you all are going to make that big of a deal over three little crimped wires, then feel free to drop by and correct things.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so the wire crimps are a size too big. Otherwise, what's wrong with doing it this way?

@Schurkey, it's not a lack of attention to detail, it's a lack of giving a crap (on some things) If you all are going to make that big of a deal over three little crimped wires, then feel free to drop by and correct things.
What seals out moisture? The tape you used will only work for so long and I'm going to guess not very long at that. Wait till the engine gets up to temp and the sticky of the tape will start getting soft and it will unravel. After that you'll be back to what is in the picture with tape laying on something.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So just for poop and grins, I looked up this mystery gasket seal.
Cmon did you really try to find it? 3 mins and 17 seconds.
GMPartsGiant, still list as good number. Number 4. And it's not the flat paper gasket.

Wanna throw me a hint on this one? Here's the closest I could find on GMPartsGiant, but it's paper, and there's no diagram to go with it.

I did, however, find this on GM Parts Direct, but it's still paper:

The difference between what uses paper and rubber is the "lid" being used. The metal lid will use the paper, while the plastic lid (mine) will use the rubber gaskets. I have the metal lid that came off the V6. Not sure if it matters. I'd REALLY rather use the plastic lid out of nothing more than personal preference.

@GoToGuy, that screenshot of yours looks to be from a smart device. I use PC only. That could be the difference, as website appear differently on smart devices vs actual PC's.

BuiltToWork

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That looks like what someone did to my truck, jury rigged connectors on the injectors wire. (I am ripping out the whole harness and starting over)

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That looks like what someone did to my truck, jury rigged connectors on the injectors wire. (I am ripping out the whole harness and starting over)

Overkill. Electrical tape and/or the thicker stuff, I believe it's called Warrior Wrap. It's like electrical tape but stretches and seals over everything.